Who We Are:
Golden Hippo is an employee-owned, vertically-integrated, highly profitable direct-to-consumer marketer of health, beauty, and pet care brands that collectively generate $1 billion of revenue annually. Our employees are passionate about our mission to create best-in-class products across broadly appealing categories — to help people live their healthiest, happiest lives.
Our A-players are results-driven creative thinkers who like to move fast, get the job done, and have fun doing it. If you love to roll up your sleeves, take on exciting new challenges every day, and drive massive growth, we want to hear from you!
Why Golden Hippo:
Here at Golden Hippo, we work to develop best-in-class products, revolutionary marketing campaigns, and glowing customer experiences. We pride ourselves on our award-winning culture and incredibly diverse workforce. We intentionally strive to cultivate, create, and celebrate a rich, vibrant and inclusive culture of belonging where our employees feel respected and empowered. We also offer:
- Award-winning culture… Winner of Comparably's Award for Best Company in Los Angeles 2021, Best Teams - Marketing 2021, Best Company - Leadership 2020, and more! Click here to view more.
- Competitive salary & bonus opportunities
- Flexible, remote work arrangements available for most positions
- Highly valuable employee stock ownership plan (ESOP)
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, life, parental leave, and more)
- Generous matching 401K plan
- UNLIMITED room for growth and results-based pay increases
- Highly interactive, challenging work with a talented, diverse, passionate team
- Ongoing learning and development opportunities such as manager and employee development classes, Tuition Assistance Program, book club, film club, webinars, mentorship program, Hippo Talks, and much more
- Casual, "no dress code" atmosphere
- In-office gym & fitness classes, fully-stocked kitchen, plus regular yoga, meditation breaks, happy hours, and events
Golden Hippo is currently looking for an Accounting Manager who will be responsible for assisting with day-to-day and month-end accounting duties, as well as manage and maintain system implementations and improvements. This role is a key member of the Accounting and Finance team, and will be critical in leading and completing projects to develop and strengthen cross-functional policies and procedures in order to maximize efficiency.
What Your Day-to-Day Will Look Like:
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting.
- Conduct variance analysis, provide reasons for change explanations and research material variances.
- Make appropriate adjustments for timing and allocation as necessary.
- Review various journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Research clearing/suspense account activity, and adjust as necessary.
- Perform ad hoc accounting analysis, special projects, and variable rate schedules.
- Continuously improve management reporting to ensure relevant and reliable information is presented in a timely manner.
- Identify opportunities for potential cost reductions.
- Function as system administrator for Blackline.
- Assist in software implementation and upgrade; perform data migration and validation.
- Maintain timelines for multiple projects, ensuring tasks and milestones are completed timely.
- Work closely with IT to ensure data integrity and to optimize system controls, processes and procedures. Point person interfacing with IT, driving accounting enhancements, creating and improving various reports and analysis.
- Identify, test, and implement new enhancements to increase efficiency and accuracy.
- Assist in documenting and analyzing Accounting policies, procedures, and workflows to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Build, document, and implement best practices for standard procedures (SOPs).
- Monitor implementation and operating effectiveness.
- Assist with interim and year-end audit requests. Assist with ad-hoc tax reporting requests.
- Research and advise on implementing new accounting standards and impact to the company.
- Collaborate with other groups and monitor business changes in order to timely identify and recommend accounting solutions.
- Lead special projects as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Best Candidates Will Have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- 6+ years of dynamic experience in accounting, with 2-3+years as people manager in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- E-commerce experience preferred
- Public accounting experience is a plus
- CPA / Big4 or large regional firm required
- Evidence of exceptional technical and practical accounting proficiency
- Experience leading teams and improving results.
- Extensive knowledge about operational accounting procedures, as well as experience with accounting and management principles. Public accounting experience a plus.
- Extensive experience reviewing general ledger coding and allocation is required.
- Comfortable working in multiple systems and software environments. Ability to drive and assist in the implementation of new systems. Netsuite, Sage, MS Dynamics, Oracle, SAP or other mid- and large-tier ERP experience preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office; specifically, Excel lookups and pivot tables
- Excellent project management, verbal communication, analytical and written skills. Ability to multitask.
- Impeccable organizational skills and attention to detail. Strong planning and problem-solving skills.
- Strong math and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the desire for continuous learning and improvement. Must get along with people, be a team player, self-starter, with excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to professionally facilitate meetings and be comfortable communicating one-on-one with vendors to resolve issues.
- Experience leading projects to completion, such as ERP integration with banking institutions, payroll processor, and/or Blackline.
- Own relationships with IT, banking, payroll, and other third parties to ensure prompt handling of internal and/or external inquiries, including timely provision of status updates to relevant stakeholders.
- Is accountable for results, approaches obstacles proactively, and looks for ways to resolve problems and issues. Have a work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to work in a team environment, give honest, direct feedback, and is a solid verbal and written communicator.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Golden Hippo strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of age (40 and over), ancestry, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), family and medical care leave or the denial of family and medical care leave, mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), marital status, domestic partner status, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, military and veteran status, political affiliation, national origin (including language use restrictions), citizenship, race, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, and gender expression, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law, rule, ordinance or regulation.
We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, for applicants in Los Angeles, California, and consistent with applicable laws in other areas.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Golden Hippo recruitment policies are designed to place the most highly qualified persons available in a timely and efficient manner. Golden Hippo may pursue all avenues available, including promotion from within, employee referrals, outside advertising, employment agencies, internet recruiting, job fairs, college recruiting and search firms.
AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT FL HI ID IL IN KS MA MI MT NV NM NY NC OH OR TN VA TX UT WA Remote