VP Business Development at StackCommerce (Greater LA Area, CA or Remote)
Who We Are:
StackCommerce is the leading product discovery platform for publishers and brands. Our award-winning solution allows users to discover and purchase products on the publisher sites they visit daily. We provide 2500+ merchants and retailers with unmatched exposure through product listings and shoppable articles. For publishers, we power white-labeled e-commerce shops with on-site checkout for readers. We’ve helped over 1,000 publishers monetize with commerce, including Yahoo!, CNN, Hearst, Mashable, NY Post, TMZ, MarketWatch, and more.
The VP of Business Development will be responsible for leading a revenue team to develop and manage strategic affiliate and publisher partnerships and explore new product and revenue opportunities. They will be responsible for revenue and growth of the StackSocial affiliate program and StackCommerce Shops platform and report to the CEO. This person must be a self-motivated and analytical leader who is passionate about digital media and ecommerce. Cultural fit is very important as well, we’re looking for someone with a great attitude who comes ready to lead a young but high achieving team.
What You'll Do:
- Develop the overall strategy to onboard, manage, and grow web publishers and affiliates, media companies, and content sites using the StackCommerce platform to ultimately drive revenue.
- Identify and close new publishers and affiliates. Initially this role will include a significant “player” component in addition to management of the team.
- Manage the Business Development and Account Management teams that are responsible for partner revenue goals.
- Instill a performance driven culture across the business development and AM teams.
- Develop an expertise of the StackCommerce platform and be able to help close large affiliates and publishers.
- Innovate. Identify, evaluate and close new affiliate and publisher partners, revenue systems, and content verticals. Creatively identify new areas for growth.
- Be the internal voice for and champion the needs of Affiliates and Publishers. Work closely with Product team to build the tools & features that will help the Affiliates and Publishers grow. Work with Sales and Merchandising teams to curate the right products for individual audiences.
- Coordinate internally across internal teams to continually optimize and grow partner revenue.
- Track and report the performance of key publisher metrics, as well as activities and events causing variances. Assist in implementing processes and structure to scale the Publisher business quickly and efficiently.
- Collaborate with Media sales organization to ensure coordination between outbound BD efforts.
What You'll Bring:
- 8+ years experience in business development, partnership development in the digital media/technology space.
- Deep experience in the affiliate marketing industry, ideally overseeing a team involved with sourcing and closing new affiliates and publishers.
- Industry connections and an existing set of relationships which can be utilized to the benefit of Stack
- Familiarity with affiliate technology including networks (Impact, Rakuten, CJ, etc) as well as sub-affiliate business models.
- Proven track record in successfully developing partnerships in the online publishing space.
- A high level of comfort being visible in market, meeting publishers, closing deals and serving as the public face of the publisher/affiliate team
- Proven ability to build and lead large, highly-effective revenue & partnership teams.
- Facility with core sales processes and tools - SalesForce, designing comp plans, developing sales targets and customer profiles.
- Expertise in web technologies and the digital media revenue ecosystem.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and drive with the ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic organization. Also, strong bias for action and getting things done, both individually and with teams.
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work within a cross-functional team; ability to communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of colleagues and external partners.
- Must be highly organized and pick up things quickly, even in a rapidly evolving environment and like to create processes that scale.
- Must be kind – our team has a special culture and there is no room for drama.
- Proven experience in online publisher development and selling publishers on a platform or affiliate program.
- History of success recruiting tech-related publishers and affiliates into a retailer affiliate program (e.g. BestBuy, Amazon etc),
- Experience at a top-tier start-up, large consumer Internet/eCommerce or media
What to Expect:
- Intro Call: You’ll hop on a quick call with the hiring manager so we can get to know you better — and you can learn a little more about the role.
- Homework Assignment: We will send over a quick writing exercise that challenges you to solve a problem and come up with creative solutions. Get a feel for what you’ll be doing on a daily basis!
- Remote-Team Interview: You’ll be meeting with 2-3 team members on a video call. This is your chance to ask questions and see who this role interacts with on a daily basis.
- Final Video Call: This is a great opportunity to get to know our CEO over video.
- Offer: We send over an offer and you (hopefully) accept! Welcome to Stack!
Benefits + Perks:
As a company, we have a lot to offer for the right candidate:
- Competitive Compensation Package: Equity, 401(k) & Health Insurance
- Dream Setup: MacBook or PC with any bells and whistles you need.
- Super Flex Time: Run errands as needed, just get your stuff done
- Unlimited Vacation: Take time to unwind
- Learning Budget: Dollars towards eLearning courses, eBooks, and more
- WFH Office: Home office stipend and internet dollars to set you up for success
- Events: Weekly happy hours, company trips, team bonding budgets, quarterly company “Hack Days”, monthly birthday celebrations, and team culture events (even while remote!)
By the numbers...
- We’ve paid our publisher and merchant partners $150+ million and counting!
- We’ve been a profitable business from day 1.
- We work with 1k+ media publishers including Mashable, TMZ, CNN, NY Post, & others.
- We’ve been a ‘BuiltinLA Best Place to Work in LA’ for 2 years straight.
- We’re currently a fully-remote team with 110 teammates. Are you next?
StackCommerce values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages people of color, LGBTQIA+, GNC, and NB individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our workforce.
StackCommerce is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.