Vice President, Finance, Pluto TV
Who We Are
Pluto TV, a Viacom company, is the leading free streaming television service in America, delivering 100+ live and original channels and thousands of on-demand movies in partnership with major TV networks, movie studios, publishers, and digital media companies. Pluto TV is available on all mobile, web and connected TV streaming devices and millions of viewers tune in each month to watch premium news, TV shows, movies, sports, lifestyle, and trending digital series. Headquartered in West Hollywood, Pluto TV has offices in New York, Silicon Valley, Chicago and Berlin.
Viacom creates entertainment experiences that drive conversation and culture around the world. Through television, film, digital media, live events, merchandise and solutions, our brands connect with diverse, young and the young at heart audiences in more than 180 countries.
For more information on Viacom and its businesses, visit www.viacom.com. Keep up with Viacom news by following us on Twitter (twitter.com/viacom), Facebook (facebook.com/viacom) and LinkedIn (linkedin.com/company/viacom).
Pluto TV is the most recent acquisition in the Viacom portfolio and a strategic priority to drive growth. This role is responsible for day to day financial support and thought partnership for the Pluto COO & CFO, as well as in support of FP&A deliverables to Viacom’s Media Networks segment. This role links day to day operational considerations with financial outcomes and KPIs for all Pluto P&L lines and for all Pluto global growth initiatives. The role will have frequent cross-functional interaction, partnering closely with the Pluto business teams to support growth and profitable investment. The VP will also work in close partnership with the Viacom SVP Finance Content & Customer Experience, functional track leadership and Viacom VPs of Finance for Kid and Adult media networks.
This is a critical role with a wide range of responsibilities, including:
- Partner with Pluto COO & CFO on presentations to craft business and financial narratives
- Oversee finance-related submissions to Viacom Finance Operations and Viacom Controllership teams in accordance with predetermined Viacom finance calendar, including maintaining risk & opportunity tracking, working to incorporate revenue and expense updates to inform monthly Outlook and Corporate submissions
- Oversee implementation of, and steady-state management of, all finance cycle-related systems and related processes (OTC, PTP, RTR) to ensure Pluto compliance with all key Viacom requirements
- Oversee implementation of elements of Pluto internal controls to ensure compliance with Viacom rules and SOX regulations.
- Support Pluto COO & CFO approval of departmental budgets, delegations of authority and associated thresholds
- Evaluate and improve internal Pluto planning and transactional processes to improve departmental accountabilities, particularly as the company continues to rapidly scale
- Lead the ‘lighter touch’ post-SAP-implementation month-end process with Viacom, including verification of revenues, revenue share calculations, accounting schedules, etc.
- Oversee month-end driver/platform-based variance analyses (vs. forecast and prior periods)
- Manage shared/standalone P&L planning and management with International regions
- Manage cash forecasting process, monitoring of Pluto customer collections, monitoring of content partner / distribution partner / vendor payment approvals and cadences, capital expenditures, and actual cash flows
- Identify opportunities for cost reductions as a result of improved internal workflows, renegotiated 3rd party vendor contracts, scale economy opportunities as we grow, and new Viacom cost synergy opportunities as they arise
- Assist Pluto COO & CFO on compensation-related management, including salary analyses and leveling, design of sales incentive (commission) and short-term incentive (bonus) plans
- Assist Pluto COO & CFO with ongoing management of Pluto Inc. option vesting calculations and payouts to employees and contractors
- Identify Content and Distribution contractual deal points which may require Viacom Corporate Accounting interpretation and/or approval
- Develop P&Ls for key content and distribution partners
- Work with Pluto COO & CFO on other finance-related matters as necessary
- Support Viacom SVP Finance Content & Customer Experience with Viacom FP&A deliverables (some of which are an output of above work with Pluto COO & CFO) by preparing financials for weekly risk and opportunity tracking, forecast submissions, closes, annual Budget, and Long-Range Plans.
- Creating analysis packages for Viacom SVP Finance Content & Customer Experience (some of which are an output of above work with Pluto COO & CFO), linking operating highlights to financial results and building causes of change to support financial submissions
- Enhance forecast accuracy across P&L lines.
Qualities / Experience We’re Seeking
We believe the right individual will have the following skills and experience in order to be successful in this role:
- 15+ years of accounting and FP&A experience; prior tech (media or ad tech) experience strongly preferred
- CPA and prior experience at a Big 4 accounting firm a big plus
- Prior experience with digital ad revenues and related recording and recognition (dealing with ad exchanges/SSPs/DSPs such as Spotx, Freewheel, etc.) a big plus
- Strong GAAP knowledge
- Experience with systems implementations
- Excellent organization, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills, including experience dealing with senior management
- Demonstrated ability to create scalable processes with strong controls
- Ability to balance concurrent interactions and deadline with both local (Pluto TV) and parent company (Viacom) teams
- Strong detail orientation and extremely hands-on problem-solving approach
- Experience managing and leading a diverse finance team
Citizens of Pluto TV have the privilege of entertaining millions of people. We are entrepreneurs looking to revolutionize the future of TV. While our planet is small, our ambition is boundless. The stakes don’t get much higher.
Becoming a Citizen is hard work. We need self-starters that thrive in changing environments, who treat company resources like their own, and who deliver seemingly impossible outcomes at warp speed. It’s the only way we stay ahead of the giants looking to take the opportunity we have earned. We are selective but once chosen, you’re in.
Why You Should Become a Citizen of Pluto TV
Becoming a Citizen is hard work but the rewards of citizenship are plentiful. Work with the smartest people on some of the most complex projects of your life, while profoundly impacting both Pluto TV and the broader world of entertainment. Share in the epic quest to define the future of television as we know it. Big commitment, big impact, lasting change.
As a Citizen, you will enjoy generously-sponsored medical benefits, a generous vacation policy, 401K retirement plan, social and team events, and more!
We’re an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
At PlutoTV and Viacom, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Viacom is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.