Greater LA Area
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 11,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
About the Position:
As the Senior Accountant, you’ll play a key role in the Finance department, ensuring that our financial data is accurate, timely, and consistent with best practice financial procedures. You’ll help us keep our books and records in tip-top shape, keep us up to date and compliant with local, state, and federal, as well as research technical accounting issues that pop up in our growing company.
This role reports directly to the Controller. No direct reports.
Within 30 Days, You'll:
- Complete our ChowNow onboarding (Ramp Camp) where you’ll learn the ins and outs about ChowNow and our products
- Complete training with our IT Team and one of our Finance Team Leads. By the end of training you’ll be able to successfully navigate all internal tools, including Google Apps, Slack, Dropbox, Salesforce, ChowNow Admin, and NetSuite
- Learn the basics of our chart of accounts structure and start reviewing vendor bills and expense reports entered by Accounts Payable
- Enter daily cash transactions to reconcile bank and book balances
- Begin understanding and preparing recurring journal entries and monthly reconciliations
Within 60 Days, You'll:
- Own all monthly recurring journal entries and reconciliations
- Begin assisting with tax and audit consultants requests to provide support and schedules for requests
- Interface with outside departments in regards to questions around transactions and account inquiries
- Learn the sales tax process: how our systems integrate with Avalara and calculate state and local sales tax, reconcile sales tax balances on a monthly basis from books to returns, and resolve any discrepancies between the platforms
Within 90 Days, You'll:
- Take charge of the financial reporting process including preparing monthly financial statements to be sent to executives and budget vs. actual reporting to be sent to department heads with detailed fluctuation analysis.
- Work with the Controller to document policies and procedures as well as brainstorm improvements to current day operations
- Gain an understanding of our billing and revenue processes in order to assist the operations team with correct accounting and revenue recognition of various subscription products
You Should Apply If:
- You have 3 plus years working at a large public accounting firm or 1-2 years in public accounting with 1-2 years doing in-house accounting.
- You have experience working with NetSuite and/or cloud-based ERPs.
- You are detailed oriented and great with documentation to let the rest of the Finance team know what is going on with our books and records.
- You are comfortable working in a fast paced, growing accounting department that will look to you to help build scalable processes and procedures.
- You have professional communication and attitude while reaching out to clients about their outstanding balances, current subscriptions, and charges/invoices.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read Full Job Description