Golden Hippo Media is a young, growing digital marketing company committed to helping everyone live their healthiest life. We create cutting edge health, wellness, and beauty products and work tirelessly to get them into the hands of the people who need them most - our customers. We're growing fast, but our core values remain the same as when we were founded in 2010.
Golden Hippo Media is creating a brand magazine for one of it's most successful health and nutrition brands. Because of this we are now looking for a Magazine Editor who will help us get this started and provide leadership, creative vision and editorial direction for magazine across all platforms - print, digital, mobile and other brand extensions. The Magazine Editor will define content strategy across all platforms with the goal of offering readers authentic, accessible, engaging, exciting, fun and expert experiential and service content illuminating all aspects of this particular brand lifestyle and diet.
HERE IS WHAT WE OFFER YOU
At Golden Hippo you have a chance to make an impact. You will have the opportunity to be creative, take initiative and grow. A career at Golden Hippo is more than just a job. It's the chance to work among friends every day, to work and play hard, and to see the results of your work firsthand. We work in a lively, laid back work environment with a fully stocked kitchen for our employees to use. We also offer:
- Competitive salary (DOE)
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, life)
- Matching 401K plan
- In-office CrossFit gym with professional coaches
- Yoga and meditation breaks
- Casual, "no dress code" atmosphere and an open office space
- Highly interactive work with a talented, passionate team
- UNLIMITED room for growth and results-based pay increases
WHAT YOUR DAY IS LIKE
- Refine and execute the brand’s editorial mission in close coordination with the copywriting, product and brand development departments.
- Fulfill the inspiration, information, and entertainment needs of the audience, monitoring the satisfaction of the brand’s customer base at all time.
- Continue to evolve and implement content guidelines aligned with the mission, ensuring that execution not only serves customers’ needs but exceeds their expectations.
- Determine content strategy across platforms, determining how best to target specific audience sectors through each medium, always with the goal of expanding readership, growing community, increasing product sales and, most important, delighting customers.
- Serve as heart of the tone and voice for the brand through the brand magazine.
- Set high standards for all content; oversee all assigning, creating, editing, designing, and production, assuring that the editorial quality is consistently best in category. Strive for content that is vibrant, fresh, visually and editorially compelling, ranging from “must-read” or “leading edge” information to “thrilling” and everything in between.
- Oversee the fulfillment of all operating procedures, including scheduling, budgets and production matters. Maintain ultimate responsibility for setting, enforcing and meeting deadlines
- Oversee design and photo aspects of the brand. Assure that covers, layouts, visuals, display type, and all design elements across all platforms and related properties or materials conforms to guidelines
- Work cross functionally with the different departments, such as marketing, copywriting, video production, etc. to develop and build upon gains in digital, social media, video, e-commerce and other platforms
- Represent the brand from an editorial standpoint in press and media.
- Define reader needs and build strategy to address needs as they evolve, and to monitor reader satisfaction on a regular basis
BEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in journalism, English or related areas.
- 5-7+ years' of publisher experience and extensive experience writing, editing and directing magazine layout.
- Relevant experience from working within health, wellness and nutrition industry/space as well as strong interest in health, wellness and nutrition.
- Strong writer, assigning editor, line editor, headline writer, and conceptual editor with journalistic excellence.
- Commercial sensibility and business acumen.
- Extensive experience managing both people and processes.
- Problem solver and solution focused; proactive in experimenting and can take responsibility for the results.
- Audience-oriented approach to publishing.
- Strong leadership qualities—able to articulate vision, mentor, motivate, and inspire great work.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, ever changing and fast paced environment.
- Strong visual and design sensibility.
- Superb editorial instincts.
Golden Hippo is always looking for smart, driven self-starters who are excited to build a place for themselves in one of the most fun, exciting companies in Los Angeles. If you thrive on community and communication, learning from your failures, and embracing the unexpected, Golden Hippo just might be the place for you.