Technical Project Manager at Appetize
| Greater LA Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 1:22 p.m. (PST) on Tuesday, September 24, 2019
Yankees, Angels, Eagles, Seahawks, Lollapalooza, Governors Ball, Bonnaroo…the biggest names in entertainment are our customers. We power the tech behind every t-shirt, hotdog and drink sold at these venues, and at a global list of other clients that you just wouldn’t believe. Didn’t think Point of Sale could be sexy? Think again.
Appetize is looking for a truly exceptional Agile Project Manager (ScrumMaster) to work with some of our most important engineering teams. This is a critical role, leading scrum for web, mobile, and quality engineers to tackle an endless, important feature list at intimidating scale. Imagine Lollapalooza or a hot Yankees game in the middle of summer if you couldn’t buy a beer…unacceptable. The stuff you’ll work on has a very real impact, and our customers will love you or hate you for what you deliver. What you and your team build matters here.
You are the most expert of jugglers, able to keep your engineers executing efficiently today, while making sure that you’re looking ahead to tomorrow, next week, and next quarter. You are passionate about process, a wizard in Jira, and a master of all things burndown-chart. You are an agile master but also conscious of a heavy milestone driven roadmap being a deadline driven business. While your focus is on your teams, you never lose sight of the fact that what they do impacts our customers. You keep your sights on delivery commitments, and coach your teams to do the same. At the same time, Appetize is passionate about our culture. Keeping your teams happy is important, not just because it means they’re delivering well, but because that’s the kind of company we choose to be. It’s a careful balance, but you’re an expert juggler, remember?
- Agile project management of multiple software development cross-functional teams comprising of onsite and offsite engineers, QA, a product manager and an engineering manager, throughout the whole software development lifecycle, from spec through maintenance
- Work with product and the business to prioritize and deliver on schedule, plus release planning, through scrum ceremonies
- Coach, facilitate and maintain consistent and beneficial Agile process methodologies for the team, driving process and transparency, by conducting grooming, sprint planning, daily standups, sprint reviews, sprint retrospectives on an iterative schedule
- Communicate the good, bad and the ugly with the business around project health, progress, risks, capacity issues, roadblocks and other key performance indicators as required, , the good, bad and the ugly through meaningful metrics, burndown reports and status reports and of course, effective face-to-face communication
- Be customer/client facing as necessary to communicate the progress of the project to completion
- Be available as necessary to troubleshoot urgent issues and raise risks to the stakeholders through articulate status reports and communication on a regular basis
- Help determine and maintain overall team velocity and capacity iteratively and through facilitating agile planning/prioritization processes
- Be Proactive in escalation of issues of concern or risk related to deliverables, able to work with scrum team or Stakeholders to address or mitigate such issues
- Work with the Product Owner to ensure that the team's backlog is well groomed and actionable for the team - ensuring collaboration and timely deliverability of clear user stories, wireframes, and other required artifacts needed for the overall success of a project
- Be able to pull together a Gantt chart/project schedule or two, or three…
- Champion a positive culture, both for your team and the larger organization being a ‘solution provider’
- Be able to work autonomously in a very fast-paced, cross-functional environment, with an uncanny ability to influence others and get teams to the finish line.
- Be approachable and transparent, wear a lot of hats, and always be aware of the big picture of making Appetize great
- Be a technical thought-leader, constantly improving how the teams work via agile methodology, productivity processes, empirical product development (where improvement and direction is guided by experiments and experience) and through working with other APMs within the PMO to help foster scrum and productivity methodologies throughout the organization
- 5+ years of impressive software project management and/or scrum master experience
- Understanding all things Agile (Scrum, Kanban) including the ceremonies of backlog grooming, standups, sprint planning, sprint review and retrospective
- 3 or more years of experience with developing and maintaining Web and/or Mobile Applications
- Familiar with Project Schedules and Gantt Charts, eg MS Project or similar
- Solid Jira knowledge and used in your past experience for task management of dev teams
- Ability to whip up a powerpoint, Keynote or Google Doc presentation when needed
- Experience leading both thin and thick client development teams
- Strong background in implementing process around the full lifecycle of software development
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and excellent listening skills
- Experience in data analytics, resource planning, portfolio management a plus
Read Full Job Description