Senior Technical Program Manager - Business Applications Who We AreAt sweetgreen, a Technical Program Manager (TPM) is more than a scrum master. They are trusted squad members responsible for owning, defining, managing large scale, cross-functional, technical programs. You will oversee a program domain as the delivery lead, liaising between business, technology, data, and other organizational stakeholders. You will be chiefly accountable for the on-time delivery of technical programs within your domain. You will succeed by anticipating bottlenecks, managing escalations, evaluating trade-off decisions, and working with Business Applications product managers to balance business priorities vs technical constraints.The appropriate candidate will have an accomplished career in managing large scale technical programs on behalf of technology shared services, and a demonstrated ability to deliver results closely partnering with multiple technology teams.You should have proficiency with applying Agile methodologies, and have experience introducing Agile processes to new teams and organizations. you should be able to demonstrate solution architecture experience in infrastructure, database, and/or networking of highly available applications at scale.You must be a self-starter who thrives in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment. You feel empowered by autonomy to prioritize projects within your program and are comfortable with high degrees of ambiguity. You can evaluate your program at a high level as a cross dependent piece in a dynamic environment. At a moment’s notice, you’re comfortable moving from high-level strategy discussions to individual contributions through diving deep to get things done.Top Goal - Within 6 months of start, oversee the delivery of major system upgrades or replacements that evolve how sweetgreen conducts business via our Business Applications - HRIS, ERP, Enterprise Support, SSO/Communications platforms, etc. Key workflows include sweetgreen’s employee onboarding/field experience, finance processes, human resources, payroll, etc. Your program domain is focused on deploying and unifying flexible, accurate, and automated ecosystems. Your area of influence is foundational to our field, corporate, and technical teams - success in this space represents the core of sweetgreen.The domain is a key hub for other sg domains from both a data perspective as well as a platform perspective. Employee and Financial data drive the effective use of our labor as well as capital to capture market share and ensure sweetgreen is providing employees services sustainably on the face of hypergrowth. Your Impact
Technology CultureAt sweetgreen, our business evolves every day as do the solutions we invent to meet those emerging needs. We believe that it’s a mix of individual skill and collaboration that leads to successful outcomes. There is no standard definition of a TPM’s background, and depending on where you’re coming from things might look a little different.We’re technology agnostic, but we have a propensity to leverage lean tools that are best suited to get the job done. To be successful in your role, you will have proven success in managing large scale technical programs, and a demonstrated ability to deliver results closely partnering with multiple orgs and vendor/contract partners. You should have proficiency with Agile methodologies, and have experience introducing Agile processes to new teams and organizations. You must be a self-starter who thrives in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment. You feel empowered by autonomy to prioritize projects within your program and are comfortable with high degrees of ambiguity. You can evaluate your program at a high level as a cross dependent piece in a dynamic environment. At a moment’s notice, you’re comfortable moving from high-level strategy discussions to individual contributions through diving deep to get things done.We value, encourage, and support diversity in backgrounds and opinions. We are human, fallible, life-long learners - we make mistakes from which we learn and grow. We partner with Product, Design, Data, IT, Operations, and Business stakeholders in long-term ownership of the solutions we build to improve the lives of our customers.Our mission for sweetgreen’s business applications is to deploy, operate, and continually improve upon software critical to our overall mission. We provide technical expertise, guidance, and vision to our partners and stakeholders in order to inform sustainable thinking across sweetgreen.Our sincere vision is to be a world-class technology organization leading the food experience revolution.You and Us, TogetherTogether we’ll work to accomplish those measures of success. You’ll enjoy competitive pay + bonus, based on your performance and level of experience. You’ll take advantage of a comprehensive health, dental, vision insurance, and 401k plan. And you’ll recharge given flexible time off so that you can make the most of life and work, in harmony.We’ll provide clear expectations for you in this role. We’ll assign you a career manager so that you can track your progress against those expectations. Together we’ll collaborate to define your career path and find opportunities for growth. We’ll respect and celebrate your passion + purpose, as we all do. And we’ll be a family of people that are all in pursuit of building healthier communities by connecting people to real food.Come Join the Sweetlife!sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen restaurant, our 4,000+ team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means. Our people are our most valuable ingredient - the heart of our company, the face of our brand, and what truly makes the sweetgreen experience special and unique.sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.
- Map the Existing System: Employee and Finance data flows through most systems establishing the baseline for field and operations activities. In your first two weeks, you’ll have developed a deep understanding of the system flow by reviewing the existing system design and documentation. By day 21, you will have contributed to those areas that need additional documentation from a program management perspective in JIRA, Confluence, and elsewhere.
- Hit the Ground Running: Within 30 days, conduct a high-level end-to-end solution, risk, and dependency analysis. Work with Business Applications to understand the user needs and the business teams to understand their solution needs. You will deploy the program management ceremonies by which you expect work to be managed and comply with the overarching guidance for reporting progress against delivery.
- Lead the Technical Implementation: By day 45-60, you will be actively contributing and leading where appropriate on ship dates, trade off discussions, risk mitigation, architecture, infrastructure, database, and/or networking of highly available applications at scale. In partnership with Business Applications, technical teams, and vendor partnerships, you’ll hold yourself accountable to the dates that you committed to for completing feature work.
- Documentation: In order to ease future teammate onboarding and knowledge sharing of complex services while mitigating the risk of tribal knowledge, within 90 days in seat, you’ll contribute to our established information architecture within Confluence and put a plan in place to realize 100% documentation of the systems you own.
- Raise The Bar: At sweetgreen we dedicate a portion of our attention to matters that may not be immediately customer facing and instead allow for us to work smarter, or faster, or simply reduce friction in the developer experience. You’ll own your squad’s specific backlog that is focused on operational excellence, and ensure learnings can be spread across other domains, technical teams, and business stakeholders as appropriate.
Read Full Job Description