Senior Project Manager
Yankees, Angels, Eagles, Seahawks, Lollapalooza, Governors Ball, Bonnaroo…the biggest names in entertainment are our customers. We power the tech behind every t-shirt, hotdog and drink sold at these venues, and at a global list of other clients that you just wouldn’t believe. Didn’t think Point of Sale could be sexy? Think again.
Appetize is looking for a truly exceptional ScrumMaster / Project Manager to work with some of our most important engineering teams. This is a critical role, leading web, mobile, and quality engineers to tackle an endless, important feature list at intimidating scale. Imagine Lollapalooza or a hot Yankees game in the middle of summer if you couldn’t buy a beer…unacceptable. The stuff you’ll work on has a very real impact, and our customers will love you or hate you for what you deliver. What you and your team build matters here.
You are the most expert of jugglers, able to keep your engineers executing efficiently today, while making sure that you’re looking ahead to tomorrow, next week, and next quarter. You are passionate about process, a wizard in Jira, and a master of all things burndown-chart. You should think agile, but not be religious about it. We’re a roadmap and deadline driven business, and we are as agile as those constraints allow. While your focus is on your teams, you never lose sight of the fact that what they do impacts our customers. You keep your sights on delivery commitments, and coach your teams to do the same. At the same time, Appetize is passionate about our culture. Keeping your teams happy is important, not just because it means they’re delivering well, but because that’s the kind of company we choose to be. It’s a careful balance, but you’re an expert juggler, remember?
- Management of multiple software development projects, from spec through maintenance
- Be the primary point of contact with our offsite engineering teams
- Work with product and the business to prioritize and deliver on schedule, plus release planning, through backlog grooming and planning sessions
- Own Jira for your teams, driving process and transparency through Scrum or Kanban where appropriate, facilitating all ceremonies including standups, planning and retrospectives.
- Communicate with the business around progress and delivery, the good, bad and the ugly through meaningful metrics and status reports
- Be customer facing as necessary
- Be available as necessary to troubleshoot urgent issues and raise risks to the stakeholders through articulate status reports and communication on a regular basis
- Work closely with other project managers to coordinate enterprise wide initiatives
- Be a technical thought-leader, constantly improving how we work, by supporting the Director of Project Management to roll out cross Engineering initiatives such as consolidation and standardization of project methodology
- Be able to pull together a Gantt chart/project schedule or two, or three…
- Champion a positive culture, both for your team and the larger organization
- Be approachable and transparent, wear a lot of hats, and always be aware of the big picture of making Appetize great
- 8+ years of impressive software project management experience
- Certified Scrum Master for 3+ years in a technical environment.
- Understanding all things Agile (Scrum, Kanban) including the ceremonies of backlog grooming, standups, sprint planning, retrospective.
- Familiar with Project Schedules and Gantt Charts, eg MS Project or similar
- Jira knowledge and use in your past experience for task management of dev teams.
- Release planning experience, for client teams preferred.
- Ability to whip up a powerpoint, Keynote or Google Doc presentation when needed.
- Experience leading both thin and thick client development teams
- Strong background in implementing process around the full lifecycle of software development
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and excellent listening skills
- Experience in data analytics, resource planning, portfolio management a plus.
- Willing to travel occasionally, including internationally
Appetize, the Los Angeles based Point-of-Sale technology company, is serving its modern ordering and payment technology to over 400 enterprise businesses. We're a a fast-growing and disruptive technology company that is steadily replacing legacy point of sale systems in the sports and entertainment, education, and professional industries. Appetize marquee venues including, Madison Square Garden, US Bank Stadium, University of North Carolina, and the San Jose Convention Center. Appetize redefines the ordering and payment process through its POS, handheld, kiosk, and inventory products for operators, as well as its mobile ordering platform for fans. For more information, visit www.appetizeapp.com.