Team and Role Overview
Relativity is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space starting with rockets. Our competitive edge comes from the cost and lead time advantages afforded by radically simple designs using 3D printed parts. In order to execute on those advantages, we need strong technical leaders to make sure we are making the best use of our capabilities, and strong project managers to make sure we are controlling cost and executing as quickly as we can.
As a Propulsion Manager of Components, you will lead the development of the valves, mechanisms, and instrumentation of the Aeon propulsion system and have a big part in the building of a world-class propulsion team. The successful candidate will have demonstrated excellence in component design, analysis, testing, and management of component development projects including direct management and mentorship of team members. You will work with propulsion and vehicle system engineers to develop specifications and manage the design, analysis, manufacturing, and test of all components on the engine.
The projects you will be responsible for could include any or all of the following:
- Project management of all engine valves, mechanisms, instrumentation
- Mentorship and career development of components engineers.
- Develop component specifications.
- Work with vendors on component development and production, which will include periodic travel.
- Support component and engine system testing at vendor locations, in-house, test, and launch sites.
- Develop and execute component flight qualification and acceptance test plans (e.g. vibration, shock, thermal cycle, life cycle, burst, etc.).
- Lead component anomaly investigations.
- Clean sheet component design through production, working with manufacturing teams to develop in-house production capacity.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead their own projects into completion with minimal oversight. This position is ideal for experienced components engineers looking for a role with broad technical authority and responsibility in a small, high-performance team. A high degree of drive, autonomy, and leadership is required. Experience in a fast-paced aerospace environment where you have completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups is highly desired.
Required Skills and Competencies
In order to be successful in this role, you should have the following:
- 5+ years of experience working on aerospace components such as valves, mechanisms, and instrumentation.
- Experience managing others either directly or as a technical lead.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering or related field.
- Strong understanding of fluid, thermal, and structural fundamentals.
- Experience in the design and integration of liquid propulsion components.
- Experience with developing and qualifying components for flight.
- Experience with CAD software (NX preferred).
- Hands-on experience with testing and data analysis at the component and system levels.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.