Director of Mission Assurance at Relativity Space
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
Relativity seeks a highly talented Director of Mission Assurance to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will provide outstanding leadership across the Missions Assurance functions at all of our site locations as Relativity approaches its maiden launch of the Terran-1 Launch Vehicle and quickly scales its launch manifest using its novel 3D printing manufacturing process.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
As the Director of Mission Assurance, you will be responsible for building a world class team that works across all engineering disciplines to tackle the most challenging anomalies and issues that Relativity faces from design, build, test and launch operations. You will be responsible for ideating and implementing processes and software tools to support tracking of manufacturing issues and ensure appropriate risk posture is maintained while corrective actions are implemented. You will spearhead major technical anomaly resolution and present risks and root cause to the Relativity executive team as well as launch customers and government agencies. During launch campaigns you will be an integral part of the launch operations and provide technical leadership and direction across engineering disciplines. Additionally you will own the change management system that ensures upgrades and the evolution of the Terran-1 launch vehicle meets internal and customer requirements with the highest standard of reliability. Since Relativity leverages a unique 3D printing approach, mission assurance solutions should complement this industry changing manufacturing process.
What you’ll do:
The ideal candidate is a proactive problem solver and leader with a deep technical understanding in one or more engineering hardware or software disciplines in aerospace. You will need to rely on engineering first principals to help multidisciplinary teams quickly resolve complex problems. Essential skills include the ability to rapidly process new technical problems and distill solutions into clearly communicable actions. Attention to detail is critical to success.
What you need to know:
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in engineering, project management or related field with demonstrated leadership experience.
- 5+ years of relevant experience to Mission Assurance or Technical Program Management.
- Knowledge of complex aerospace hardware and processes related to manufacturing, integration, testing or launch operations.
- Track record of building and managing an interdisciplinary team with successful milestone deliveries.
- Solid interpersonal skills to interact with both internal and external groups to overcome associated constraints.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with proven ability to rapidly resolve interdisciplinary technical anomalies and establish agile processes.
Nice to haves but not required – if you do not meet all of these criteria, you should still apply:
- Direct hands-on operational experience in the integration and launch operations of an orbital rocket.
- Full product life cycle experience with a new launch vehicle or spacecraft.
- Direct experience implementing and maintaining a software system to govern engineering or manufacturing processes focused on reliability.
- Experience interfacing with 45th or 30th Space Wings and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
- Executive communication skills, with the ability to represent complex business or technical concepts with senior leadership.
We believe varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team. Prior experience in aerospace is not required.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual Learning & Development stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.