We’re looking for a Senior Counsel, Employment and Compliance to join Procore’s Legal team. In this role, you’ll partner with cross-functional teams worldwide, including members of our Executive, Legal, Operations, and Global Talent Organization (GTO), to provide advice, counsel, and support on a broad range of employment and compliance matters.
As a successful Senior Counsel, Employment and Compliance, you’ll leverage a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear and concise commercial advice and creative solutions, on established timelines, to meet their business needs on a wide variety of employment and compliance matters. You're eager to prepare and conduct regular employee and management training on various developments and trends that affect the company and its operations. You're a collaborative team player who brings a positive, encouraging attitude to the workplace and internal clients.
This position will report to our Associate General Counsel of Litigation, Employment, Ethics, & Compliance, who is located in Austin, TX. The role would preferably be based in our Austin, TX office but can sit remotely within the US or in any of our US offices. We’re looking for someone to join us immediately.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as the subject matter expert in all areas of federal and state employment laws, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and Equal Pay Act.
- Provide global advice and counsel on a broad range of day-to-day employment matters, including recruiting, restrictive covenants, interpretation of employment contracts, inclusion and diversity, employee relations, performance management, terminations, leaves of absence and accommodations, wage and hour, commission plans, pay equity, internal investigations, sick leave, compensation and benefits, privacy, contingent workers, and immigration.
- Review and draft employment-related documents, including employment agreements, separation agreements, consulting agreements, offer letters, and confidentiality agreements.
- Support cross-functional employment and compliance investigations and proactively identifying employment and compliance risks and mitigation of the same.
- Collaborate on global employment and compliance matters with internal stakeholders and support the preparation, implementation, and refinement of best-in-class employment and compliance practices that align with the company’s values and business goals.
- Counsel management and the GTO on new or pending federal and state legislation, laws, rules and regulations, and industry developments and trends that affect the company and its operations and provide expert review on policies, procedures, employee and compliance training, and specific cases which may be impacted by legislation or case law development.
- Review and advise on employment and compliance aspects of mergers, acquisitions, and other corporate transactions.
- Provide legal advice on substantive risks areas including, but not limited to, gift and business entertainment, conflicts of interests, and political activities.
- Prepare and conduct regular employee and management trainings on relevant matters and support GTO’s management of company training programs.
- Support management of litigation and pre-litigation strategy, represent and defend the company, as necessary, in front of applicable federal, state, and local regulatory and enforcement authorities, and assist in the efficient management of litigation costs and outside counsel fees.
- Provide substantive support for the rest of the Legal team as needed, including strategic transactions and other ad hoc projects.
What we’re looking for:
- J.D. from an accredited law school with exceptional academic credentials
- 7+ years of related experience working on employment litigation and counseling matters both at a leading law firm and as in-house counsel (ideally at a SaaS or other technology company in roles of increasing responsibility)
- Deep experience with employment laws in California and/or New York and significant experience with employment laws in multiple states across a wide range of issues
- Must be admitted, active, and in good standing with the California, New York, or Texas bar, as applicable, or eligible to apply as registered in-house counsel in one of these states
- Passionate about technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company
- Effectively able to build and maintain strong relationships with all levels of employees and management
- Detail-oriented, organized, efficient, and resourceful with strong follow-through skills
- Ability to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands, and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills
- Strong desire to learn the business and new areas of law and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team
Procore Technologies is building the software that builds the world. We provide cloud-based construction management software that helps clients more efficiently build skyscrapers, hospitals, retail centers, airports, housing complexes, and more. At Procore, we have worked hard to create and maintain a culture where you can own your work and are encouraged and given resources to try new ideas. Check us out on Glassdoor to see what others are saying about working at Procore.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome builders of all backgrounds. We thrive in a diverse, dynamic, and inclusive environment. We do not tolerate discrimination against employees on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
Perks & Benefits
You are a person with dreams, goals, and ambitions—both personally and professionally. That's why we believe in providing benefits that not only match our Procore values (Openness, Optimism, and Ownership) but enhance the lives of our team members. Here are just a few of our benefit offerings: competitive health care plans, unlimited paid vacation, employee stock purchase plan, enrichment and development programs, and friends and family events.