Privacy Counsel at Foursquare (Remote)
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Studio). Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands.
About the Position:
This is a great opportunity to join a high-growth company that is disrupting the geolocation space. In this role you will have an opportunity to drive impact on some of the most important issues in the privacy space at the moment. You will work with stakeholders across the entire organization, including key partners in Product, Engineering, Finance, Sales, and Marketing to drive cross-functional alignment on data privacy and protection. This role reports to the Associate General Counsel - Privacy, Product & Compliance.
In this role, you’ll:
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in areas of data privacy and protection laws (including state and federal consumer protection and privacy laws, GDPR, and other global privacy laws).
- Effectively communicate global privacy laws and regulations and work with cross-functional stakeholders, especially in the engineering and product organizations, to provide legal guidance and conduct privacy impact assessments relating to new and existing products and features throughout the product development lifecycle.
- Oversee third party risk management program.
- Help to develop and conduct general awareness and role-specific privacy training to cross-functional stakeholders.
- Review and negotiate data processing agreements and other privacy and security related agreements.
- Partner with the go-to-market team to respond to customer questions and RFIs.
What you’ll need:
- 5+ years of relevant privacy experience. Membership to a bar, or ability to be in-house registered counsel. Previous in-house experience is preferred (but not required).
- Extensive knowledge of global privacy laws, including GDPR, Section 5 of the FTC Act, and U.S. state privacy laws, and experience in implementing global privacy and/or compliance programs.
- Experience working across an entire organization, including product and engineering.
- Experience in drafting and negotiating data processing agreements.
- Practical business judgment and ability to qualify risk.
- An understanding of, and passion for, emerging technology and products.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to the Foursquare Leadership Principles.
- Your own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, we encourage and welcome you to still apply!
- Familiarity with geolocation industry and technology
- CIPP certification(s)
At Foursquare, we are committed to providing competitive pay and benefits that are in line with industry and market standards. Actual compensation packages are based on a wide array of factors unique to each candidate including but not limited to skill set, years & depth of experience, and specific office location.
The annual total cash compensation range is $108,000-$170,000 however actual salaries can vary based on a candidate’s qualifications, skills and competencies, as well as location.
Salary is just one component of Foursquare’s total compensation package, which includes restricted stock units, multiple health insurance options, and a wide range of benefits!
Benefits and Perks
- Fully Flexible Workplace - work from home, one of our offices or a combination of the two!
- Unlimited PTO - rest and recharge when you need it!
- Industry Leading Healthcare - comprehensive and competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- Savings and Investments - 401(k) with company match
- Home Office Setup - you get all necessary hardware and internet reimbursement
- Family Planning and Fertility Programs - programs via Carrot and Maven
- Employee Resource Groups - to help you stay connected
Things to know…
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.