Team and Role Overview
The Legal team identifies and manages risk across Relativity to ensure that the company is adequately protected through its rapid growth. The Paralegal will be an integral member of the Legal team, recommending and implementing best practices to grow and scale the Legal practice. This role will initially report to the General Counsel.
In your role, you will be responsible for:
- Contracts & NDAs:
- Researching, recommending and implementing a contract management system to track expiration dates and other key terms.
- Preparing contracts for execution and managing all aspects of contract approval, execution, and recording.
- Administering and tracking NDAs through the Company’s automated Ironclad software.
- Basic negotiation and redlining of NDAs and simple contracts.
- Helping to build, administer and track trainings, acknowledgements, certifications, etc. (e.g. FCPA; export compliance; trade secret).
- Helping administer and scale an export compliance program with our experts, including:
- Identifying responsible personnel;
- Creating a system for screening customers, identifying red flags, performing KYC;
- Tracking system for classification of items;
- Tracking system for licensing and corrective actions;
- Building streamlined internal system of reporting suspected non-compliance; and
- Providing monitoring, audits, training, recordkeeping.
- Managing cap table, either internally or in conjunction with external paralegal.
- Drafting basic documents from templates or precedent (e.g. certifications, certain Board resolutions) for review by counsel.
- Intellectual Property
- Work with outside counsel in preparing all forms, declarations, assignments, etc. necessary in support of patent and trademark applications.
- Monitoring and tracking status of patent and trademark applications, both domestic and foreign.
- Administering a formal invention harvesting program.
- Administering and maintaining trade secret registry.
- Combing through resource databases (e.g. Practical Law) for applicable templates and guidance on a variety of employment topics.
- Tracking and reviewing external counsel invoices
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
We want to send 3-D printed rockets to space! To help the company achieve this mission/goal, we need to make sure that the Legal team can proactively respond to the rapidly growing needs of the organization. You will build and implement processes to ensure that the Legal team works seamlessly with other functions to aide in such growth and ensure compliance.
The candidate thrives in high-growth organizations and can handle rapidly shifting priorities with patience and flexibility. They are creative and confident, coming up with best practices for tracking and managing contracts and compliance. They have a growth mindset, wishing to learn and grow beyond their existing expertise to new fields. They meet deadlines and are accountable for their work, and they keep an open avenue of communication on progress when it comes to projects and tasks.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- 5+ years as a paralegal in the corporate and/or commercial contracts/technology transactions fields at a major law firm, particularly in the emerging growth or private company sector, or the legal department of a technology or aerospace company;
- Experience building systems and programs from the ground up (e.g. compliance tracking; contracts management);
- Ability to effectively manage multiple time sensitive tasks;
- Strong communication skills; and
- Ability to exercise discretion to provide practical, strategic and business-oriented solutions.
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- Familiarity managing capitalization tables and/or administering stock option plans;
- Experience in the space or aerospace sectors;
- Experience with export control programs; and/or
- Paralegal experience across a variety of practice areas (e.g. commercial contracts and corporate).
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.