Simulation & Analysis Engineering Intern (Remote, Summer 2021) at Virgin Hyperloop
- Internship length & time frame: 10-12 weeks during the summer of 2021
- Two available start dates: 6/1/21 & 6/21/21
- Availability: interns must be available for 40 hours/week (sorry, no overtime!)
- Compensation: all internship positions have a fixed hourly rate of $19.00/hour
- Eligible applicants: applicants must have current work authorization for the United States (U.S.-based student visas are eligible). Applicants without current work authorization unfortunately cannot be considered.
- **Location: this is a completely remote program; due to economic constraints related to tax implications, we are only accepting applicants residing in the states of California or Nevada.
To connect the world, we must reflect the world. At Virgin Hyperloop, we’re bringing together unique perspectives, empowering our community to celebrate all voices, and creating equal opportunities to build, grow, and thrive.
WHY WE NEED YOU
Our team (System Analysis and Loads) executes large-scale system-level simulations that involve mechanical dynamics, electromagnetics, aerodynamics and thermodynamics, as well as control systems and electronics. These simulations are fundamental to the rapid development of a functioning and safe hyperloop system that can sustain speeds of over 1000 km/h in a tube held at very low air pressure. The size and complexity of these simulations demand streamlining of our code on computational clusters as well as setting up computational pipelines between different software. We are currently looking for a candidate who can assist with the development and optimization of these computational platforms.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop and maintain code to parallelize the computational workflow on the in-house cluster
- Develop a user interface to interpret simulation results in Matlab
- Connect Matlab and Simulink to other software for co-simulation
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- Deep knowledge of Matlab and Simulink. Knowledge of Matlab parallel computation and batch computation is preferred
- Basic knowledge of electromagnetism
- Basic knowledge of linear control systems
- Some experience with Matlab app designer