Product Design Intern
Greater LA Area
About the Team:
At ChowNow, we are passionate about serving the needs of over 9,000 restaurants to help them compete in an increasingly technical world. Our team works on products focused on restaurant clients and their diners (who transact over $1,000,000 daily on the ChowNow platform).
We believe positive relationships make our team able to do more with less. You will collaborate, learn, teach, and experiment with new approaches to getting big things done together.
Our team is located in the Playa Vista neighborhood and tech hub of Los Angeles — 5 minutes from both the beach and the freeways. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too. We’ve been named a Best Place to Work, have been certified as a Great Place to Work, and have a whole bunch of happy employees on Glassdoor.
About the Position:
As our newest Product Design Intern, you will join the ranks as a collaborator and a contributor championing good design and thoughtful user experience. You will play a key role in helping us create scalable, easy-to-use products that truly connect with our users while standing out among the competition.
You will leave this experience with knowledge of the inner workings of what it takes to be a product designer, while also building relationships with existing product designers, product managers, and engineers. Even if you don't feel you meet all of the qualifications below we still encourage you to apply—after all, this is an internship! Nonetheless, we expect you to be ready to learn and work closely with the team to iterate on customer feedback and help solve new design problems for native and web apps.
Specifically, you will:
- Learn how to synthesize broad concepts and ideas into engaging and impactful experiences.
- Take product specs/requirements from concept to execution, transforming them into intuitive, user-friendly application features.
- Get started with crafting user flows, wireframes, high-fidelity mockups, and prototypes to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas.
- Collaborate and foster relationships with fellow designers, product managers, and engineers by learning what details matter at each stage of the product development process.
- Help with ground level UX work, qualitative and quantitative.
- Leave with valuable learnings and portfolio pieces.
Within 30 days, you’ll...
- Complete our ChowNow New Hire Onboarding Experience.
- Learn the ins and outs of ChowNow and our product design process.
- Conduct an analysis of ChowNow’s products and the competitive landscape.
- Help dissect requirements for a new feature and begin research and create user flows for possible solutions.
- Learn about systematic design and how to design for scale.
Within 60 days, you’ll...
- Work with your design team in creating user flows, wireframes, and a prototype for a new feature.
- Learn how to handoff your designs to engineers.
- Present your design decisions and approach to problem solving, and solicit feedback from the team.
Within 90 days, you’ll...
- Deliver your first set of user flows, wireframes, and high-fidelity interaction designs for a new feature.
- Dissect the data from the feature you designed and provide insights on your findings.
- Talk to customers and the support teams to gain empathy for customer problems, needs, and mental models.
- Learn to conduct user testing to help inform product decisions and implement new design thinking based on customer feedback.
You Should Apply If:
- You have a portfolio featuring examples of interaction design work.
- You’re pursuing a BA/BS degree or equivalent in UX, UI, HCI, or another design related field.
- You have a passion for amazing product design and an appreciation for elegant user experiences.
- We're looking for someone who is enthusiastic about taking design best practices and applying them to solve challenging problems.
- You're familiar with Sketch and Adobe Suite. Bonus points if you also have experience with basic prototyping tools such as Principle and Invision.
- You’re constantly looking for inspiration and staying relevant with the latest apps, design trends, and patterns.
Read Full Job Description