- Internship length & time frame: 10-12 weeks during the summer of 2021
- Two available start dates: 6/1/21 & 6/21/21
- Availability: interns must be available for 40 hours/week (sorry, no overtime!)
- Compensation: all internship positions have a fixed hourly rate of $19.00/hour
- Eligible applicants: applicants must have current work authorization for the United States (U.S.-based student visas are eligible). Applicants without current work authorization unfortunately cannot be considered.
- **Location: this is a completely remote program; due to economic constraints related to tax implications, we are only accepting applicants residing in the states of California or Nevada.
To connect the world, we must reflect the world. At Virgin Hyperloop, we’re bringing together unique perspectives, empowering our community to celebrate all voices, and creating equal opportunities to build, grow, and thrive.
WHY WE NEED YOU
The Power Electronics team is in search of an intern who will take project requirements, benchmark existing designs, brainstorm possible solutions/options, conduct reviews and build/implement hardware solutions. The design efforts will be related to the projects below.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
The Power Electronics hardware team is responsible for the design, build, and test verification of a Power Electronics Unit (PEU) which is a core part of the hyperloop power system. A PEU consists multiple power converters ranging from 10’s kW to 100’s kW. The intern on our team will:
- Compile project requirements, benchmark designs based on test results and prototype solutions
- Create comprehensive project report and conduct design reviews
- Project 1: Double pulse test – SiC module characterization
- Project 2: Diagnostics PCBs for FTR#2 and DC/DC test rig
- Project 3: Matlab/Simulink based SiC gate resistor optimization
- The above projects are in direct support of hyperloop Block 1.0 milestone, specifically, the build of 25 PEUs which are deliverables for Block 1.0
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals of power electronics
- Fluent in Matlab and Simulink
- Comfortable with power converter design
- Experience in building and testing of power converters
- Able to provide documents in design, testing and reports