Senior Technical Accountant at Route (Remote)
We are Route
Buying stuff online can get messy once you hit that “order” button. Managing dozens carrier tracking links, dealing with lost or damaged packages, and resolving issues with customer support can feel like a wild goose chase. That’s why we created the Route — to make the post-purchase experience for consumers like you, and the brands you love, as seamless as possible.
Route is on a mission to connect the world’s commerce. Through our network of +5 million Route App users and 15,000 merchants, we’re making it easier than ever for consumers to track, insure, and discover their favorite products in one place — which connects the world’s coolest direct-to-consumer brands to happy repeat customers.
Since Route launched in 2018, we’ve been on a journey to build innovative products that empower our customers, all while fostering a people-first, values-driven company culture. We’re looking for talented people across the ecommerce space to join us on the next steps of this adventure.
Don’t just take our word for it! Discover what life at Route has to offer.
Finance ensures that Route grows in a sustainable, efficient, and intelligent way, over the short and long-term. This small but mighty team of financial analysts, accountants and other specialists act as trusted partners to the entire 400+ person-company, supporting departments in annual budget management, creating regular reports for the board and leadership, streamlining processes, and implementing best practices. They bring the expertise needed to constantly deliver smooth financial operations for Route.
As a Senior Accountant, you’ll be a core part of building an operationally excellent Accounting function at Route. In this role, you’ll become a trusted partner to key stakeholders across the company by continuously sharing your expertise on best practices and effective processes, providing thoughtful guidance that helps the company get to financial planning win-wins, and identifying and implementing solutions that will help make Route a stronger organization. This team is small and will continue to be — which means you will find infinite opportunities to learn, grow, and adapt as needs change, giving you the chance to have an impact from day one.
We’re looking for someone with an extensive accounting background, strong attention to detail, and an in-depth understanding of GAAP. In addition to this deep corporate accounting experience, the ideal candidate also needs to be an excellent communicator, since a top responsibility for this role is to build and reinforce partnerships with leaders across the business. Overall, you’re somebody with a desire to take ownership of the role and constantly operate as an expert-level accountant at Route.
What you’ll do
- Maintain a monthly close schedule and prepare adjusting journal entries
- Perform monthly account reconciliations and variance analysis
- In conjunction with accounting leadership, manage all GL accounts: Revenue, COGS, Operating
- Oversee expenses, prepaids, fixed assets, intangible assets, software, etc.
- Research, recommend, document, and implement processes for new accounting transactions such as new revenue streams, partnership accounting, etc.
- Drive improvements to the internal accounting processes through automation
- Partner with FP&A on budgeting, forecasting, and periodic BvA reviews
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting for the organization
- Perform daily, monthly, and quarterly cash and account reconciliations
- Work closely with AR/AP to introduce processes and procedures necessary to maximize efficiency of the Accounting department
- Provide outside auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit
What we’re looking for
- Master’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration (Accounting emphasis preferred) or active CPA
- 2+ years in a corporate accounting capacity
- Excellent knowledge of general financial accounting and understanding of accounting rules and procedures including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Detail-oriented and able to perform in a high-pressure environment
- Proven experience working with a team and collaborating cross-functionally across an organization
We would love it if you have:
- Advanced revenue recognition, e-commerce, or SaaS experience
- NetSuite experience
- 2+ years of Big 4 accounting firm audit experience
Salary for this role: $108,000- $117,000 + Bonus
The cash compensation above includes base salary, and is not reflective of potential commission for employees in eligible roles, or annual bonus targets under Route’s bonus plan for eligible roles. In addition to cash compensation, all Route employees are eligible to participate in Routes equity incentive plan to receive stock options per the terms of the agreement. Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay. Individual compensation packages are based on a few different factors unique to each candidate, including their career level, skills, experience, specific geographic location qualifications and other job-related reasons.
Equal opportunity for all
Route is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We embrace diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
We know our team works best when everyone feels happy, healthy, and supported. We offer to pay 100% of your health insurance premiums on a $0 deductible plan for you and your family, remote or hybrid work arrangements, unlimited PTO, 401k matching, formalized growth opportunities, learning & development, DEI programs & events, and so much more.