Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better is seeking a Review Appraiser to join our fast growing team! The Review Appraiser will support the Valuation Review team in their mitigation of collateral risk. This involves actively addressing appraisal quality escalations and open revision requests, as well as helping to resolve requests for additional commentary on delivered appraisal reports. The work is performed within the framework of regulatory guidelines with oversight from management and requires expert knowledge of Appraiser Independence Requirements (AIR), Dodd-Frank, and Freddie / Fannie appraisal guidelines. Beyond producing high-quality appraisals, our goal is to build a process that will streamline and ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America.
Responsibilities will include:
- Serving as a peer and subject matter expert for QC escalations from our appraiser panel
- Preventing delays by providing notification and appropriate coaching for requested revisions
- Monitoring the revision pipeline and proactively addressing the most common requests
- Driving panel performance by developing and managing high-trust vendor relationships
- Providing regular feedback to stakeholders regarding response/ efficacy rates on revisions
- Maintaining appraiser records for early identification of providers that may require intervention
- Advising on the Reconsideration of Value (ROV) processes and suitability of requests made
- Active Appraisal License required (Certified or Certified General)
- 7+ years of experience as an Appraisal Reviewer working with independent appraisers
- Working knowledge of applicable laws and regulations for the appraisal practice
- A high degree of self-direction and prioritization to identify and meet company goals
- Ability to independently manage multiple projects with diverse milestones
- While this position will allow for predominantly remote work candidates must be available to work onsite in Better's Irvine, CA office ~2 times/month (once company switches back to in-office work)
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.