Backend Software Engineer at FIGS
Are you self-motivated? Results-driven? Do you want to be on the ground floor of building out a tech stack and a tech team? Yes?! Then we want to talk to you. Here at FIGS, we are building out a software engineering team to build and extend our growing e-commerce platform. We are looking for an exceptional engineer who can help us architect and build our backend infrastructure and systems.
Does this sound interesting? Keep reading.What you'll do:
- Work as an engineer on projects with a small team or alone as we grow
- Partner with our Product, Design, and Frontend Engineering teams to build robust systems that power e-commerce at FIGS
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years working on backend applications.
- Strong computer science fundamentals.
- Proficiency in relational database schema design. We use Amazon Aurora.
- Experience with design patterns.
- Experience designing REST APIs / GraphQL APIs.
- Familiar with different different data systems including memcached, redis, elasticsearch
- Experience using Ruby in a production environment.
- Awareness of common security vulnerabilities and how to avoid them.
- Demonstrated ability to architect scalable and maintainable backend systems
- Familiarity with DevOps technologies like Docker, Vagrant, Terraform and Kubernetes .
- Building e-commerce systems
- Experience setting up CI/CD build processes and pipelines.
- Desire to learn: we are not looking for specific experience with our tech stack—just the willingness and sufficient experience (with an equivalent stack) to pick it up fast
- Excellent communication skills
- Collaboration: we work in small cross-functional teams and as individual engineers. We are not afraid of challenges and working together to tackle them.
- Positive attitude: we are self-starters who love to solve problems with technologies
- A strong work ethic, with integrity and entrepreneurial mindset
Please apply with your cover letter, resume, and examples of previous work to be considered.
A little bit about us…
The $60 billion medical apparel industry is antiquated, highly fragmented and, until FIGS, was driven solely by low-cost providers offering a limited selection of poor quality products sold through third party distributors. FIGS is revolutionizing the medical apparel industry by creating the highest quality medical apparel in the world and by selling directly to medical professionals through our branded ecommerce site.
FIGS’ foundation is built on product quality, and we have a relentless focus on three key areas: fabric, fit and function. We developed our proprietary, performance-oriented fabric technology to meet the demands of the medical profession. FIGS’ Technical Collection fabric is antimicrobial, wrinkle resistant, stain and liquid repellant, moisture-wicking, odor proof, lightweight, breathable and offers four-way stretch. Our designs are tailored, sophisticated and innovative, incorporating features such as yoga waistbands, smart storage (pockets, zippers, hidden pockets) and inspirational sayings inside each garment that appeal to modern healthcare professionals.
By offering a branded and customer-centric online shopping experience, we are changing how medical professionals buy their workwear. Through our website, social media, and participation in medical conferences and events, we have built a strong following within the medical community and a meaningful connection with our customers, which allows us to understand their needs and to ensure that FIGS is continuously improving and innovating.
FIGS’ Threads for Threads initiative is central to our mission. FIGS has donated hundreds of thousands of scrubs to healthcare providers in need in over 35 countries.