Director, Game Design at Zwift
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Director of Game Design to bring AAA interactive experiences to the world’s most immersive virtual cycling and running platform. The ideal candidate will have deep experience designing and tuning action video games, working with diverse types of game controllers and interactive firmware, and a special gift for creating responsive and rewarding gameplay interactions. Also important: proven leadership acumen, a strong aptitude for critical thinking, analytical skills, player insight, and boundless creativity to engage and surprise players.
Zwift is the fitness company born from gaming, and we’re on a mission to make More People. More Active. More Often. The Zwift platform mixes the intensity of training with the immersive and engaging play of gaming. Ride or run virtual worlds with a motivating community in over 195 countries and counting! Launched from the sunny shores of Long Beach, California in 2014, we have grown to over 300 Watopians (that’s what we call our employees) and have locations in New York and London.
Not anywhere close to those cities or interested in relocating? Ask us about a remote option. We are willing to consider remote opportunities where it makes sense because we’re here to disrupt the fitness industry!
Some reasons we think you will love it here:
We are a creative, innovative, and passionate team. Where world-class talent can do their best work while having fun. Elevating teammates and looking within to always level up is deep in Zwift's DNA. Zwift's inclusive, "One Zwift for All" value is something that is worked on daily. And bringing your authentic voice is expected. Whether you’re a current Zwifter, at the beginning of your fitness journey, or neither one of these, there is a place for you here. Ready to join our growing community?
How we’re handling Covid-19:
We are beyond grateful to continue to grow as a company during this unusual time. Our #1 priority is ensure the health, safety, and sanity of our current and future Watopians. We want to share with you what we’re doing and what you can expect.
Since March, all of our Watopians have been working remotely and will continue to do so until we know it is safe to collaborate in person again. As you go through the virtual interview process, don't be alarmed if children or pets make a guest appearance. We won't think twice if we get to meet any members of your family. If we are fortunate to welcome you to the team, we will get you all the necessary equipment, hardware, and furniture needed to get you ergonomically set up and productive at home.
Work From Home (WFH) life can be challenging in many ways. We have and will continue to take steps that ease some of the burden for our Watopians including:
- Monthly stipends to help offset additional expenses incurred with WFH
- Access to mental health & wellness resources including headspace, unmind, and Spring Health.
We care about you as our candidate too, so let your Talent Engagement Partner know if there’s anything we can do to make your interview process go more smoothly. We are in this together and always looking for ways to enhance our new interview experience.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee the design vision and execution of controller-based game experiences
- Establish clear design criteria to ensure fun, addictive and intuitive gameplay
- Manage and contribute to design documentation, actively driving iteration, calling out risks, and incorporating stakeholder feedback
- Lead design sessions, mentor game designers and guide career development
- Partner with product managers and producers to ensure that all designs are in sync with business goals and scoped to hit deadlines
- Stay on top of competitive products in the interactive fitness space as well as the AAA video game market
- Foster relationships with top game design talent; lead recruiting and hiring for the design team
- Serve as evangelist and primary point of design contact for internal and external teams and partners
What we’re looking for:
- 10+ years experience in game design leadership, with multiple shipped action games
- 5+ years working on live games, preferably cross-platform MMOs
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills, a gift for recruiting & growing design talent
- Experience designing for a wide variety of game controllers and interactive hardware components
- Diplomatic & inclusive temperament with a cross-discipline approach to problem-solving
- Comfortable with ambiguity, a lightning-fast pace, and a high degree of ownership
- Experience shipping cross-platform games, especially: iOS, tvOS, Android, Mac, and PC
- Experience designing for multi-variant experimentation to drive retention
- Interest in creating fun experiences for cycling, running, and overall fitness
Of course, we are nothing without our Values to ground us and ensure we run and build a Company where people love to work, feel like they are welcomed, included, and belong. Only then can they thrive and do their best work. The Values we strive to live every day:
- Make It Fun,
- Elevate Teammates,
- Cultivate Our Community,
- Always Level Up,
- One Zwift for All
We strongly believe that different backgrounds and ideas are a competitive advantage; we hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Zwift is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing [email protected].
Zwift, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.