Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a highly talented Welding Technician to join a rapidly growing space startup.
You will be providing assistance to our Additive team by assuring the consistency of welds and related processes. You will be reporting to our CTO, Jordan Noone.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
Our mission is to change the people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As the Welding Technician, you will have a direct effect on how our rockets are built—on a day to day, you are operating robotic equipment to print large scale structures. Accurate logs of welding processes, robotic systems, process parameter improvements, and assistance in test sample preparation will also be parts of your overall responsibility.
A major objective of this role will be to monitor our continuous welding capabilities—this may result in shifts that occur outside of normal office hours.
The candidate will come from an environment where they have demonstrated both hands on and theoretical understanding of the arc welding process, specifically GMAW. Ideally, this candidate will also have experience operating 3D printing machines with little to no oversight. This role is extremely collaborative—verbal and written communication skills are key.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies:
- Performs various GMAW and GTAW welding operations to assemble and weld aluminum parts
- Certified welder
- Technical ability to weld aerospace products per blueprints, requirements, and specifications
- Understand weldment blueprints and symbols
- Collaborate with other technicians and engineers to develop welding parameters that meet part requirements.
- Fit, form parts, and clean parts as required and setup welding equipment in preparation for welding
- Finish parts with various hand tools
- Strong visual inspection skills
- Visually inspect own work to verify weld quality
- Excellent trouble shooting and problem solving skills, including suggesting appropriate modifications to welding equipment to improve the process
- Able to work various shifts as required
- Knowledge of other metal fabrication processes—grinding, cutting, machining
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- Prior work in an aerospace company creating flight quality structures
- Experience with direct energy deposition (DED) 3D printers
- Robotics experience (Kuka, Mitsubishi, etc.)
- Certified to AWS D17.1
- Familiar with aerospace specifications for the GTAW process
- Diagnose weld defects and suggest corrective actions
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
Read Full Job Description