About The Brand
Overview and Responsibilities
The first commercial television set was introduced in 1928 and has been largely unchanged since! For the first time in history, TV is changing big time! Manager of Video Quality for the Streaming team at Pluto TV, you will be responsible for using existing tools and capabilities to ensure the quality of service for each Pluto TV user is optimized.
The successful candidate will be instrumental in refining existing video quality benchmarks across all Pluto TV Live channels.
If you have a passion for building great products, enjoy the art of collaboration, and have the ability to drive decisions that lead to highly reliable complex systems, we want to talk to you. This role is part of the Broadcast Operations team.
This is a critical role with a wide range of responsibilities, including:
- Being able to effectively speak to Pluto TV’s Video, Content, Revenue and Application teams on projects that support Pluto’s video services.
- Using and recommending new tools to review system status and preempting problems
- Leading forward-looking projects that can span multiple engineering organizations
- Influencing architectural decisions based on product requirements, high availability, massive scale, industry trends, quality metrics and emerging technologies such as new A/V codecs, stream packaging, and video streaming protocols.
- Document and present design decisions to your peers.
- Developing and maintaining a healthy, working relationship across all PlutoTV engineering and product teams
- Collaborate with the Video Playout, Transcoding and Player software development teams to contribute with production-ready code and anticipate potential quality of experience problems with changes, updates and upgrades.
We believe the right individual will have the following skills and experience in order to be successful in this role:
- Significant experience with video operations workflows, including working knowledge of FFmpeg and/or GStreamer
- Strong experience with video streaming protocols HLS and MPEG-DASH, and video players on multiple platforms such as iOS, ExoPlayer, Roku, video.js and hls.js
- Knowledge of industry standard A/V codecs and streaming protocols
- Knowledge of measurement and validation processes for linear OTT and VOD video
- Passion for Product Process and Innovation and being involved throughout the entire life cycle, from product initiation to delivery, and sponsor continued innovation that empowers our team to deliver the best content experience in the industry.
- Strong documentation skills: ability to develop compelling documentation that sets up the engineering teams for success.