Director, Publisher Development at GumGum
GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
The Director, Publisher Development is focused on closing new partnerships with top tier publishers across the web and CTV. The role requires a consultative and creative sales approach to building publisher relationships and driving new inventory opportunities across GumGum’s contextual ad exchange. The role requires an individual who is comfortable selling monetization solutions to senior management teams at publishers across the web and CTV apps.
This role will own the end-to-end sales process to publishers by helping to further build inventory opportunities on GumGum’s contextual ad exchange across a portfolio of products such as display, outstream video, adhesion overlay formats, in-image ads, and emerging CTV formats. The role will work closely with the VP of Publisher Development to drive and execute deals with a focus on inventory growth in all product areas.
Please note, GumGum is only open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and MN.
- Lead, negotiate and execute new business deals with the largest web publishers and CTV content owners in the US, Canada, and LATAM.
- Drive a new pipeline of business across top Comscore and Similar Web 5k publishers.
- Lead negotiations with senior decision makers while presenting GumGum’s portfolio of ad monetization opportunities.
- Provide a visible presence for GumGum at trade shows, conferences, dinners, and events.
- Conduct new business meetings via Zoom and in-person with decision makers at owned and operated publishers.
- Document meetings and publisher feedback on behalf of the publisher development team based on market feedback.
- 8+ years of work experience closing publisher deals and building publisher relationships.
- Ad Tech Industry contacts within programmatic ops, ad ops, revenue ops, and business development teams at publishers on the web and CTV.
- Has led several negotiations with top Comscore publishers and CTV apps.
- Has worked with internal legal teams to redline and negotiate strategic partnerships.
- Advanced understanding of digital products & publisher approaches to monetization.
- Deep familiarity with ad tech trends, the publisher landscape, and how ad exchanges operate.
- Ability to assess key inventory verticals with limited direction while hunting for leads and contacts.
- Understands headerbidding and server-to-server auction dynamics and how it relates to a publishers ad stack.
- Ability to develop, negotiate, and close publisher monetization partnerships.
- Ability to develop compelling pitch documents and present confidently to prospects .
- Advanced negotiation skills
- Knowledge of PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and GSuite
- Can work with a high degree of autonomy and ambiguity
- Leads and adjusts through a changing work environment
- Able to be flexible to publisher demands while still meeting commercial outcomes for GumGum
- Strong knowledge of Salesforce and conducting email cadences
- Ability to create and articulate technology driven solutions to publisher teams
- Growth mind-set and focus on execution
- Comfortable with frequent changes in prioritization of time and focus, in a fast-paced environment
- Ownership mentality and proven ability to get things done under pressure
Benefits & Perks
- Medical Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Vision Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Dental Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employer-Matched 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Stock Incentive Program (role dependent)
- Paid Parental Leave - Birth parents can receive up to 16-18 weeks for birth recovery and baby bonding. Non-birth parents can receive up to 10 weeks for baby bonding
- Transitional Return-to-Work Schedule
- Modern Family Support: Cleo App
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal and Identity Theft Protection
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- WFH Stipend
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Flexible Time Off
- Veterinary Discounts
- WeWork Monthly Pass
- Pet friendly organization - We love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Virtual company events and (optional) in-person celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
- Anniversary recognition and awards
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The VOICE Coalition - through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
Optional return to office: Our big vision for our futuristic “Farmhouses” in 2022!
- Offices will now be referred to as the “GumGum Farmhouse” -- a futuristic space centered around a bigger purpose: flexibility, sustainability, community, and growth!
- GumGum will continue to be a flexible/remote-friendly environment, however, offices will reopen in 2022 for any employees who choose to come in to collaborate, participate in an event, host your clients, contribute to our growing of plants/herbs/vegetables/etc.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum expands globally! Our company recently acquired JustPremium, a European-based company that utilizes creatives as a means to develop digital environments. JustPremium’s rich media is one of the largest in the world, and brings forward higher performing ads that adds value to GumGum’s already thriving contextual intelligence. With this acquisition, we now have 375 + employees globally, as well as new market expansion including Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, and Mexico. Together we will become the most powerful global solution for a cookieless future through contextual technology and high-impact creatives.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum