To connect the world, we must reflect the world. At Virgin Hyperloop, we’re bringing together unique perspectives, empowering our community to celebrate all voices, and creating equal opportunities to build, grow, and thrive.
WHY WE NEED YOU
- As a key member of the Virgin Hyperloop advanced product development team, you will work with vehicle, system, hardware and software architects, to provide safety and certification guidance based on a solid past experience in aerospace and/or railway product development.
- Your guidance based on your product-level safety experience will drive planning, design and execution of the hyperloop concept all the way through certification.
- You embrace new technology challenges and think outside the box, but understand the need to establish an equivalent level of safety culture that is found in both aerospace and railway.
- You challenge the design standards establishment, too often a new technology blocker, while showing the highest respect for the safety culture that was gained over the last century of learning, and understand the hazards and respective mitigations associated with passenger mass transportation.
- You understand safety cases and safety concepts as they relate to the economics of passenger mass transportation and you understand and can drive the architectural trade-off studies that can be made for one to enable the other.
- Your level of seniority and experience in passenger mass transportation allows you to judge whether the system safety targets are correct and whether the as-planned and as-executed safety lifecycles are sufficient to achieve the targets and to meet the intent of the adopted safety standards.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Reporting to the Director of RAMS Engineering, you will be performing safety trade-off studies to seek and find an optimal vehicle and system design to enable the most effective economics model of a hyperloop transportation system, while maintaining the necessary levels of safety
- Solve intellectually challenging cross-functional and departmental safety problems
- Support the establishment of the certification basis and the safety standard adoption for a new means of mass passenger transportation based on novel technology and possibly on novel means of compliance
- Act as safety validator as necessary and in collaboration with the Director of RAMS Engineering
- Produce safety concept documentation to support the selection of architectures
- Define test scenarios required to convince yourself and the safety acceptance/certification authorities that Virgin Hyperloop built the right system from safety viewpoint
- Provide mentorship and guidance to enable competency and maturity growth within the RAMS Engineering team and to support the decision-making process, related to selection of safety methodologies and key technical safety issues
- Be available for travels in the U.S. and internationally to support discussions with regulators or other stakeholders
- Comply with VH occupational health and safety rules whether in the office or on project sites
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- You have a proven record in vehicle, system, safety and certification experience with 10-15 years of experience in relevant product development.
- You have a track record of applying known established safety and certification standards. Ideally, you have experience sitting on committees that are involved in establishing and generating industry standards as they relate to safety and performance.
- You have experience in safety maturity growth of a company, including implementation of processes, organization, tools and techniques.
- You have demonstrated excellent presentation and engagement skills with external parties (e.g. regulators or safety authorities, Independent Safety Assessors).
- You have worked in advanced product development, knowing that novel product planning requires a balancing act between applying commonly established safety design standards, developing new ones and time to market.
- You can most of all help product planning members and the company's executives support the most optimal planning for a realistic time to market.
NICE TO HAVE
- MS and/or PhD in an engineering discipline or a related field
- Familiarity with ISO 9001 and/or AS 9100
WHY VIRGIN HYPERLOOP
- Our Benefits: medical (including infertility & mental health), dental, vision, life, FSA, HSA, 401k, and more
- Your Wellbeing: flexible work schedules, unlimited PTO, and 16 weeks of paid parental leave