Product Management Internships - Media Tech, Summer 2024 at NBCUniversal (Remote)
See yourself at NBCU! Be a part of our intern community, a diverse group of curious and passionate trailblazers who we believe are the future of our industry.
The NBCUniversal Internship Program allows students to unlock their potential by contributing to big projects in meaningful ways that matter. To thrive as an NBCU intern, you are ready to bring your passion for media, entertainment, and technology along with your desire to learn each day.
Your professional development is important to us. NBCU interns receive career prep, leadership exposure, connection to other interns, networking, and of course, all the fun you can imagine along the way.
To meet students where they are, we will host internships in both a virtual and in-person format. Opportunities listed will either be in-person based on the location mentioned or virtual, depending on business needs. Please be sure to read this job description carefully and note the internship dates, locations, and departments before applying.
In addition to all our internships being paid, we will also offer the following for our Summer 2024 interns:
- Paid company holidays for full-time interns.
- Robust networking, learning and development opportunities for all interns, whether in-person or virtual.
- Financial assistance to offset expenses for transportation and housing may be available on a needs-based basis for eligible in-person interns. More details about eligibility for this assistance will be provided at the time of offer.
Media Tech Summer 2024 Internship Program:
- Applications Close: October 5th at 11:59pm ET. Pro Tip: Submit your application as soon as possible - don't delay!
- Program Dates: June 3 - August 9, 2024
- Time Commitment: 40 hours per week
- Submit a one-page resume that outlines your work experience, accomplishments, and your graduation month and year.
- Submit a cover letter that highlights your passion for NBCUniversal, the locations (listed below) you are open to for internships, and your top areas of interest (opportunities listed below).
- Upload a transcript (unofficial transcripts are fine) that confirms your status as an actively enrolled student in a degree-granting program.
Here at NBCU, we strive to be on the forefront of leading-edge technology and are seeking a savvy troop of technologists we call Media Tech Interns.
Our program exposes students to technical opportunities across NBCUniversal's Operations & Technology organizations and serves as a main pipeline into our Rotational Associate Programs. As a NBCUniversal Media Tech Intern, you will gain hands-on experience, allowing you to apply your classroom knowledge to practical situations. We offer a 2 day in-person orientation in our NY office where we bring all interns together to meet each other and various business leaders.
Students will experience firsthand how one of the largest media and entertainment companies in the world operates and delivers strategic, innovative solutions.
Areas of placement may include, but are not limited to:
- Digital Product Delivery Workplace Technology: The Collaboration Engineering Team is part of the Digital Workplace Technology team and has employees across the globe in LA, NY, NJ, Europe and India. The intern will receive exposure across a multitude of business units as well as sister companies depending on the projects. The intern is expected to assist engineering team members such as product managers, product owners and engineers/developers. The intern will also learn how to conduct stakeholder interviews, develop roadmaps, and have the opportunity to develop strategy for the products and services we provide.
- Marketing and Fulfillment Enterprise Product: As part of the Marketing and Fulfillment Enterprise Product Team, we support building out cloud-based products for ingesting, validating, servicing and distributing content for many of NBCU's brands. Our products support our premiere streaming service - Peacock - as well as international platforms like SkyShowtime and Showmax with the eventual goal of having all the company's content run through our Enterprise Products.
- Product Management, EP&D Scheduling & Distribution I: The product portfolio is aligned around critical NBCU functions such as Content/Title Management, Data & Analytics, Scheduling & Distribution, and Content Sales. One platform unified traffic initiative: The project's primary objective is to integrate ad sales into the reimagined content supply chain through the development of new tools and services, collaboration between tech operations and the ad sales team, and the redesign of workflows. Currently, the ad sales team operates independently, managing scheduling and ad campaigns using an outdated vendor-based system. The project seeks to overhaul this process by incorporating some ad sales activities into the overall supply chain framework. The overarching goal is to improve workflows and prevent isolated systems to enhance efficiency. Replacement of Existing Rights Management Tool with a Hybrid Solution (Vendor-Built Mix): The primary objective of this project is to replace the existing rights management tool with a newly provided solution which is a mix of vendor and in house. The new solution should effectively handle content rights management, entitlement rules, and associated metadata for broadcasting content. This transition aims to enhance efficiency, accuracy, and flexibility in managing content distribution while ensuring seamless compliance with licensing agreements.
- Product Management, EP&D Scheduling & Distribution II: Compass is NBCU's destination product for the business to manage VOD and Linear schedules. We support the business's ability to create operational linear schedules across each brand and enable the management of fulfillment requests to all our VOD destinations, including both Peacock and SkyShowtime. In 2024, we are planning on continuing the endeavor to expand the capabilities of Compass VOD to enable the convergence of all VOD workflows into Compass. Additionally, we will be expanding our Linear capabilities to provide more automation in our integration with trafficking systems that powers the forecasting of ad inventory needs, and the playout of the schedules. The intern will support working with stakeholders and product teams to clarify and define product requirements, working with product and engineering teams to track the delivery of capabilities or initiatives, and working with product and stakeholders to document and define user journeys that leverages capabilities and enhancements.
- Platform Product: Our Enterprise Product team is made up of folks who support Content Supply Chain, Marketing and Fulfillment, and Platform Product - for project intake and design and User Applications. The intern will be reporting to Director level, and will be aligned under the Platform Product team group, where they will get to talk directly to key stakeholders at Peacock to understand their requirements, work with the Enterprise Architecture team and the UX/UI team to design a feature/project, and work with developers within enterprise engineering to develop a solution. The culmination of the internship with be presenting slides on a feature/project, and doing a hands on demo of a user application to show the feature from end-to-end to our SVP of Enterprise Product.
- Must be actively enrolled in a degree-granting program at an accredited institution during the entire duration of the program.
- Current class standing of sophomore or above (30 credits).
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship by NBCUniversal.
- Must be working from a location within a U.S. state during all hours worked.
- Students with class standing of junior or above preferred.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects as once, as well as changing priorities.
- PowerPoint and data visualization a must.
- Comfortable in drawing rough workflows in a tool like Lucid Charts, or Visio.
- Technical writing, API management, Jira experience, Agile methodology.
- Marketing or Media Experience / strong passion for either.
- Basic understanding of software development lifecycles.
- Basic understanding of television programming lifecycles.
The hourly rate for undergraduate student interns is $30.00
The hourly rate for graduate student interns is $30.00
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by emailing [email protected].