Launch Systems Principal Director at The Aerospace Corporation (Greater LA Area, CA)
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
We remain committed to maintaining a safe environment for hiring as we look forward to the future of work. Click here for information on Aerospace's COVID-19 directives and safety procedures implemented to keep our workplace safe.
The Launch Systems Division (LSD) helps our customers develop launch vehicles and innovative solutions in support of military, human space flight, and commercial applications by interfacing with organizations such as the United States Space Force, NASA, DARPA, OSL, and FAA. Our people provide customers timely, value added, decision quality information and analyses to solve technical and programmatic issues to outpace the threat.
Are you ready to advise senior government program management, lead technical staff organizations, and collaborate with key contractors, Aerospace leadership and other partners for program continuity from concept design through development, deployment, and operation to ensure efficient support? You'll also closely run organizational planning, staffing, and coordination for peak results.
Telecommuting 1-2 days per week is possible depending on the needs of the customer and the business.
What You'll Be Doing
- Provide technical, programmatic, and management leadership for the Aerospace team supporting SpaceX's family of launch vehicles, including the Falcon, Falcon Heavy, and future vehicles like Starship/Super-Heavy
- Work closely with Space Force, contractor management and Aerospace leaders to identify programmatic, technical and mission assurance challenges and develop timely, beneficial solutions
- Deliver non-recurring design validation of SpaceX launch systems, optimally applying resources within Launch Systems Division (LSD) for program management and Engineering and Technology Group (ETG) for detailed technical evaluation
- Provide leadership to the evolution of mission assurance processes to support new ways of building confidence in launch system reliability
- Guide the team that actively supports Launch operations for NSSL missions from CCSFS, KSC, and VSFB
- Provide timely, high quality and accurate reporting of program information to senior Aerospace and Space Force leaders
- Establish organization structure and staffing, recommend budgets, allocate resources, and establish priorities
- Maintain and strengthen close teaming relationships across LSD, with ETG and launch site organizations, as well Office of Space Launch (OSL), Independent Readiness Review Team (IRRT), Space Force (AF) and Contractor personnel
- Focus organization direction and recommendations in concert with Aerospace initiatives, and customer needs, timeframes, and goals
- Ensure compliance with applicable safety and security regulations and guidelines
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelors degree in engineering or science
- Typically 15 or more years of proven, related experience in engineering and management, with dynamically growing responsibilities
- Experience in launch vehicle systems design, development, assembly, test, and operations
- Ability to think outside the box to evolve mission assurance processes
- Ability to travel
- This position requires current Secret clearance or ability to obtain Secret clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- 15 years or more related experience
- Advanced STEM degree
- Experience in Aerospace mission assurance processes
- Launch verification and Space Force new entrant certification experience
- Understanding of Falcon launch systems
- SAP clearances or ability to obtain one
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected] You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.