Head of Infrastructure
Riot Games, founded in 2006 is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of ESports. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges.
The Head of Infrastructure at Riot Games is accountable for the global strategy and operations of all physical, public, and hybrid cloud infrastructure. As the discipline leader, you will make sure that the infrastructure strategy is aligned with the rest of the department’s leadership and strategies, and ultimately exceeds expectations from our players and product teams. Additionally, you will be responsible for leading our infrastructure discipline, defining the job families, compensation structures, and ensuring we have the right infrastructure talent to meet Riot's overall needs.
You will balance responsibilities across three strengths:
- Strategic Vision
You own the long-term direction regarding infrastructure development and operations. The strategy should be informed by the needs of the company, our products, and the players. That strategic vision needs to be clearly defined and articulated, then executed through influence and alignment with the internal technical teams.
- Financial Stewardship
Infrastructure is a major investment for Riot. Product teams are responsible for the infrastructure they consume, but this leader is unusually positioned to see the holistic view across the company, and you will work to optimize the whole to make product team’s costs as effectively as possible.
- Discipline Leadership
Leading the infrastructure discipline means ensuring Riot has the right tools to attract and retain top infrastructure talent we need to deliver on our goals. As discipline lead, you’ll also be monitoring the health of the discipline (job happiness, engagement, retention, etc.), and regular communications and updates to everyone in the discipline.
- You will collaborate with other members of the technology leadership team, and Riot leaders, to inform infrastructure strategy, direction, and operations
- You will lead and implement our infrastructure strategy and goals that support strategic and product requirements
- You ensure the efficient, secure, and financially responsible use of Riot’s infrastructure to generate value for Riot and players
- You will build and implement appropriate technical standards, processes, and practices for operations and development
- Establish and lead to operational and capital financial targets
- You will develop, analyze, and monitor metrics for all aspects of technical and operational performance
- Evaluate and select infrastructure platforms, tools, partnerships, vendors, and solutions to meet current and future company and product needs
- Directly lead the operational and functional aspects of our infrastructure operation to improve value to the company, product teams, and players
- You stay informed on emerging technology and game industry trends; make informed decisions about changes in our infrastructure strategies accordingly
- You will mentor and grow exceptional infrastructure operations and technical leadership team
- Maintain a balanced infrastructure discipline, providing support to technical leadership and teams, defining roles, career paths, compensation strategies, and performance expectations.
- 10+ years of leading infrastructure teams/operations of growing scope
- Experience setting technical vision and strategy on a company/global scale
- Skilled at team-building, performance management, and mentorship
- Prior experience at a senior IC level as an Infrastructure Engineer or Architect
- Advanced Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
- Operational leadership (infrastructure, NOC, etc.) experience a requirement
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).