Head of Field Operations
Humans waste an unthinkable amount of food. In fact, nearly half of all of the food we grow in the U.S. never reaches a plate. It's not just the food that we're wasting—we’re throwing away all of the natural resources that went into growing it, too. At Apeel Sciences, we look to nature to derive sustainable solutions to our global food challenges so we can all eat better and waste less. We're pioneering plant-derived technologies to help fresh food providers improve food quality, reduce waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet. We are committed to being a technological and environmental trailblazer at the intersection of the agricultural, materials science, chemistry, biotechnology, and engineering industries, and we’re looking for brilliant, passionate problem-solvers to join us.
Apeel is comprised of highly talented, deeply passionate, and strongly tight-knit team members who are excited by the opportunity to challenge the status quo, are obsessed with solving problems, and truly seek to positively change how we feed the world.
Our people are core and absolutely fundamental to our company’s success and continued growth. Look around and what do you see? Team members who are working tirelessly and selflessly—not to serve themselves—but to help the team as a whole strategically, aggressively, and collectively realize a shared mission and vision. If you are ready for an opportunity to jump in, tackle challenges (and opportunities!) head-on, take ownership, and drive meaningful outcomes in a highly collaborative, communicative, and dynamic environment, we would love to connect with you!
About This Role
Our Field Operations are core to our business model and success. We are looking for a “lean”-driven, forward-thinking, collaborative, customer service-oriented, and people-oriented leader to grow, motivate, and oversee our widely distributed network of global field staff and operations. You will be responsible for managing our Field Operations in a manner that prioritizes our service to our external and internal customers while nurturing our commitment to financial performance and vendor performance, as well as employee engagement and performance.
What You’ll Do
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the following Field Operations units:
- Installations Engineering
- Operations Engineering
- Field Services
Enable end-to-end continuity and velocity from initial equipment installation and commissioning at customer sites through to day-to-day equipment and product application operation while ensuring safety, maintenance, reliability, and continuous improvement of the equipment and our processes at our customers’ sites.
- Drive transformation of the customer and front-line employee / field operations experience by designing and improving processes and the overall services operating model to elevate customer experience, satisfaction, retention, and value
- Work creatively and resourcefully with our People & Culture Team to source, hire, train, and develop an agile pipeline of qualified field staff to allow the business to rapidly scale across the global with maintaining service integrity and reliability
- We currently have highly engaged, global, diverse, and distributed teams of technical field staff—help us propel these teams even further to elevated levels of productivity and job satisfaction!
- Work with internal teams and external vendors to ensure we are meeting the company’s and our customers’ service objectives within set project timelines and response times
- Implement and manage platforms for monitoring and sharing operational performance as well as best practices for field operations
- Represent the company in front of and build strong, lasting relationships with customers and external vendors
- Regularly report on the progress of commercial program performance to employees, peers, executives, and board members
- Evolve the field operations organization structure to enable rapid and sustained growth of the business
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in a Business or STEM field required (MBA or equivalent desirable)
- 15+ years of experience rapidly building, scaling, and leading global, distributed technical field teams
- Experience in heavy industrial equipment and/or power electronics industries preferred
- Experience in top-tier Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) firms, Energy Service Companies (ESCOs), or Large IT / Systems Integrators also preferred
- Experience working in a multi-national, matrixed organization preferred
- Demonstrated ability to plan, implement, and manage at both strategic and operational levels with a “systems mindset”
- Strong and decisive; can quickly earn the respect of internal customers and all levels of management by demonstrating solid knowledge and expertise
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple demands and understand when to take necessary risks for appropriate rewards
- Exceptional oral, written, and presentation communication skills
- Customer management skills to build and maintain effective relationships with customers and resolve customer issues to a high degree of satisfaction
- Total commitment to continuous improvement, driving leaders and team members to adapt and implement critical improvement processes across the enterprise at all levels
- Proven ability to negotiate and manage vendor contracts
- Able to travel domestically and internationally (up to ~ 30%)
- Spanish language proficiency is strongly preferred
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.