Director of Real Estate
Clutter is an on-demand, technology company based in Los Angeles that is disrupting the $50B/year self-storage and moving industries. We’ve built an end-to-end logistics and supply chain platform that enables us to offer consumers a much more convenient solution at price parity with the incumbents. We’ve raised $300M from a number of VCs, including SoftBank, Sequoia, Atomico and GV (formerly Google Ventures). We have 500+ team members and tens of thousands of customers in 7 major markets across the US with plans to be in 50+ markets, domestically and internationally, within the next 5 years!
At Clutter, we're fortunate to be providing a consumer value proposition that people love and one that makes economic sense - a true product/market fit that few startups ever find. To deliver on our promise to consumers, team members and investors, we're focused on hiring, training and retaining exceptional individuals. This means that we have a very thorough interview process and maintain high performance expectations, but we'll always be transparent with you and respectful of your time.
We are looking for a pedigreed, driven, and process-oriented Director of Real Estate to build and oversee Clutter’s real estate team, which will help Clutter expand on its 1.7 million square feet or industrial real estate space and grow its network of distribution depots. This person will report to the VP of Finance.
What you’ll do:
- Define Clutter’s warehouse and depot real estate strategy for current and existing markets and execute against it
- Design, build, and lead a real estate team within Clutter’s Finance organization
- Own real estate playbook end-to-end while obtaining cross-functional alignment from various stakeholders
- Lead the site and property selection process and coordinate resources to support due diligence evaluation of new opportunities
- Negotiate leases and coordinate all stakeholders involved in execution
- Create and challenge the standard for racking and launching a Clutter warehouse and work with vendors and internal stakeholders to implement
- Take the lead on portfolio optimization strategy (renegotiation, relocations, and closures) and portfolio management (terminations, expirations, and renewals)
- Manage real estate budget development, monitoring, and reporting
- Establish and leverage relationships with landlords, developers, brokers, and lawyers
- Develop and manage processes, tools, and systems to insure the complete cycle of real estate management functions is completed consistently and predictably, while managing a robust opportunity pipeline
- Responsible for any ad-hoc analysis
- Consistently challenge practices to ensure the team is consistently raising the bar on its performance
What we’re looking for:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from a top university
- Background: 5+ years of commercial or industrial real estate experience
- Entrepreneurial: act like an owner and make decisions as such
- Intelligent: solve problems creatively using the resources that are available to you
- Diligent: obsess over the data and details