Director of Procurement at sweetgreen
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 3,500 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means.
The Director of Procurement is part of the site development team, primarily responsible for vendor negotiations and procurement activities supporting our physical new restaurant growth and format expansion(s) while working with counterparts throughout the extended store development team including Design, Construction, and Facilities Management. This position will also provide cross-functional procurement support for additional teams within sweetgreen not including food service/supply chain and IT. The Director of Procurement position will start out as a “player coach” capable of leading a team of 1-2 direct reports responsible for handling and executing upon all store development-related and company-related material purchases while also including the ability to personally execute upon purchasing requirements for up to 50% of the sweetgreen pipeline and internal demand. This position will report to the Director of Site Development, with the expectation over time that you will build out a scalable, best-in-class procurement team capable of managing the end-to-end procurement process while driving the most favorable business terms for Sweetgreen.
- Develop a companywide procurement program, purchasing, contracts, negotiations & vendor selection, including frameworks for vendor evaluation, engagement and RFP ownership.
- Conduct capital spend analysis, identify and prioritize strategic sourcing, cost-reduction opportunities and execute corresponding RFIs/RFPs and supplier negotiations as necessary.
- Develop, direct, and manage overall cost reduction targets for New Restaurant Openings (NRO) and Facilities Maintenance capital spend, achieve contracted savings on supplied materials.
- Establish cross-functional internal procurement organization process and develop internal partnerships with cross-functional SG teams, including Finance, IT, etc.
- Implement and/or leverage existing/upcoming SG enterprise systems to establish automated procurement request, invoicing and payment process.
- Establish enterprise reporting standards on procurement volume by unit, spend and category/types.
- Lead a team of 1-2 procurement resources to handle and execute all store development and company purchasing decisions (excluding food-related supply chain & IT), including the ability to execute upon purchasing requirements for up to 50% of the sweetgreen NRO pipeline and/or internal company demand.
- 10+ years of strong procurement and strategic sourcing experience in a high growth environment
- Demonstrated contract and agreement negotiation experience, including development of negotiating plans and strategies.
- Experience selecting and implementing ERP procurement systems at the enterprise level.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to create financial reports, model out total cost of ownership, and conduct cost analyses
- 10-25% travel, depending on business needs
- BS Degree required
- MBA preferred
- Strategic and critical thinking skills
- Prior experience with Ariba or Coupa
- In-depth knowledge of sourcing and procurement principles and best practices
- Ability to work effectively and cultivate strong relationships across all levels of the organization and with external parties
- Demonstrated ability to lead difficult conversations and collaborate, facilitate, and achieve consensus amongst key stakeholders
- Strong operational management and general business skills
What you'll get:
- Competitive pay + bonus plan granted based on performance
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- Flexible PTO, because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Free sweetgreen swag
- Complimentary sweetgreen
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.