TeleSign is a cloud communications company that is redefining the way the largest brands in the world protect, connect and engage with their users. With an innovative suite of APIs, enhanced by data intelligence and Machine Learning, TeleSign delivers communication, verification and Mobile Identity solutions that have been used by almost everyone around the world. In business for more than a decade, profitable and located in the heart of Silicon Beach with panoramic views of the ocean and Hollywood sign, there is no better place to evolve and grow your career.
You will assist the Legal Team with TeleSign’s global privacy program, with a focus on creating and implementing or ensuring the tools, policies and training needed to enable employees to appropriately and responsibly handle personal data as part of their business activities.
Primary Job Responsibilities Include
- Privacy Program Management: Assists in the development and maintenance of TeleSign’s global privacy program which includes ensuring its policies, standards, playbooks and standard operating procedures supports its global privacy program objectives. Develops and participates in delivering privacy training to employees. Supports ongoing measurement and auditing on overall effectiveness of the privacy program and execution of privacy policies and standards, both internally and by third-party vendors. Investigates and implements technical aids that support compliance.
- Compliance with Applicable Laws: Helps implement measures to ensure TeleSign is in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Ensures fulfillment of other legislative and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Partnering with Sales and Product Teams: Advises on data protection and data handling standards and on appropriate disclosure, notification and consent mechanisms. Assists in the development and negotiation of data sharing agreements, data transfer and processing agreements. Researches and responds to privacy-related questions as these arise. Advise on key decisions on architecture and implementation of scalable, reliable, and cost-effective engineering solutions related to core data compliance requirements.
- Data Subject Services: Helps implement and monitor out-opt, technical monitoring, and data subject services such as the data subject access request program. Ensures that subject access requests are logged and responded to within the prescribed periods.
- Privacy Impact Assessments: Prepare documents, data flows, and other materials related to products (new products, product enhancements, changes to workflows and new use cases) and Protection Impact Assessments (PIAs) and Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs) and conduct periodic compliance assessments of these.
- Privacy by Design: Collaborate with IT, information security and other teams to ensure incorporation of privacy by design approach into data processing procedures. Works to understand use cases and develop operational procedures for new business scenarios involving internal or external data handling. Refining and developing thoughtful policies and provide guidance on the privacy implications of products and services.
- Monitoring and Compliance: Monitors country-specific regulatory activities to ensure awareness of changes in regulatory environment globally. Helps develop and manage internal controls relating to privacy legal frameworks.
- Partnering with Security: Assists in incident and data breach responses (including evaluating notification requirements).
- Partnering with Operations: Develop a data governance and compliance framework including managing the objectives, approach, repeatable and scalable processes, policies and procedures to ensure enterprise-wide adherence to retention and deletion schedules.
- Other duties as assigned.
You are highly motivated, intelligent, and have demonstrated excellence in prior endeavors. The successful candidate should have:
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree, masters or law degree preferred
- Ability to understand legal contracts and regulatory requirements quickly, then apply to ensure compliance.
- Privacy certification (CIPP, CIPT, CIPM, CISSP, or similar) preferred
- At least 5+ years of directly related experience in data protection and governance and/or privacy program management preferred
- Strong knowledge of the GDPR, CCPA, and a good understanding of other major privacy frameworks and evolving legislation, security laws, rules and regulations worldwide, as well as industry leading-practices and standards
- Demonstrated ability delivering results and advancing privacy program maturity
- Deep understanding of personal data and broad knowledge of data across the business, ideally in the telecommunication industry, but relevant experience from other consumer/regulated industries will also be considered
- Understanding of IT systems and their connection to data collection and processing
- Ability to operate effectively in a matrixed environment: building and managing peer and management-level relationships through achievement of results, accountability to schedule, and allocation of resources and meeting customer needs
- In-depth understanding of privacy policies, principles, and technologies as well as familiarity with privacy control frameworks
- Experience interpreting privacy regulations
- You understand the importance of data privacy, but also the practical obstacles of implementing those principles in a complex ecosystem in a fast-moving environment, and have experience working cross-functionally to overcome those obstacles
- Experience developing policy and compliance training
- Experience with data security and privacy standards (e.g., NIST, ISO 27701)
TeleSign is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe our differences help us create a better workplace, a better product, and a better community. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.
TeleSign also participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
TeleSign is an Affirmative Action Employer and as part of the commitment to AAP, it will seek to ensure affirmative action to provide equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment, and that all personnel activities, such as the recruitment selection, training, compensation, benefits, discipline, promotion, transfer, layoff and termination processes remain free of illegal discrimination and harassment based on protected characteristics.
Telesign does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers or HR team.