At Aspiration, we created the category of sustainable, socially responsible retail consumer finance. We offer unique financial products to let people save, spend, and invest their money in ways that make them more financially secure and align with their personal values. Unlike other financial institutions, Aspiration is committed to building a relationship with our customers based on trust and aligning the customer’s success with our own. Aspiration has raised over $250M in funding to date, and is growing quickly.
We are looking for an ambitious, hard-working, and thoughtful communications leader dedicated to Aspiration’s mission to help every American both do well and do good. The Director of Communications is responsible for amplifying overall brand awareness through the development and execution of a fully integrated communications strategy that garners positive consumer and industry media coverage. We are looking for someone who is socially conscious by nature and who has the ability to craft compelling stories in a technical industry.
In addition, you will be responsible for managing internal communications initiatives, specifically supporting our marketing and social media teams as well as working directly with key members of Aspiration’s leadership team.
Action: We take initiative. We are doers, not bystanders.
Boldness: We don’t tinker, we transform.
Customer-Centered: Our customers are at the core of our business. Delivering for them is our North Star.
Diligence & Dedication: We do what we say we’re going to do, when we say we’re going to do it.
Entrepreneurial: Act like an entrepreneur not an employee, generate results for the company and customers everyday.
What You'll Do
- Develop and manage comprehensive communications strategy that supports the Aspiration brand, mission, and identity with customers, the financial sector and environmental/climate community, key stakeholders as well as our employees and recruiting prospects
- Develop and execute impactful earned media strategies that elevate our brand and position our products and technologies as leaders in the marketplace
- Develop KPIs to effectively measure the impact of PR programs
- Lead the development of all PR-related media materials including press releases, pitches, bylines, briefing notes, and media-up.
- Work directly with leadership to ensure flawless execution of all executive corporate communications; identify and secure thought leadership opportunities across the company, including bylines, speaking opportunities, and various other branding opportunities
- Operate in a seamless, integrated manner with cross-functional teams including marketing, social media, product, etc. to meet objectives and uncover unique and newsworthy story ideas through earned media coverage
- Manage content and distribution of news and external messaging
- Hire, grow and retain communications team members
- Manage external PR agencies
- Understand how to manage communications and media for an emerging “challenger” company
- Maintain ongoing relationships with key reporters covering issues such as personal finance/budgeting/saving, investment, green/sustainability, consumer tech startups, income inequality, and living with purpose/conscience
- Leverage relationships across national and local television, major online and offline media organizations, and influential blogs
What You'll Bring
- 8+ years of communications experience at a recognized consumer-focused (B2C) brand or startup
- Extensive media relations experience with significant media contacts at major outlets
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. 100% comfortable with writing press releases and story outlines, and pitching a wide range of reporters
- Demonstrated interest in Corporate Responsibility, Sustainability or related field a plus
- Ability to learn quickly and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- A doer - you do what it takes to achieve our goals
- Nice-to-have: Journalism/media background
What You'll Get
- Making an impact for a company with a mission of transforming the financial industry and the lives of millions
- Competitive salary and equity incentives
- Robust healthcare plans, 401K and unlimited vacation time
- Bright and collaborative office in beautiful Downtown Portland
- Diverse & inclusive culture
Read Full Job Description