Senior IP Counsel at GOAT Group
| Greater LA Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:53 p.m. (PST) on Tuesday, November 10, 2020
Providing critical support and guidance company-wide, our Legal team has a tangible impact on the entire company's business operations and strategic initiatives. The team values integrity and takes every opportunity to advise and advocate effectively on behalf of GOAT Group and its business goals. As a member of our team, you will work with others who are collaborative, handle a high volume of projects and thrive in a demanding, deadline-driven environment.
Reporting into the Director, Legal & Corporate Affairs, the Senior IP Counsel will be responsible for providing support on all intellectual property related matters. The role includes counseling stakeholders on brand and software related IP matters, managing IP disputes, competitive IP intelligence, managing and expanding the company’s IP portfolio, coordination with outside counsel, and due diligence in support of business transactions.
In this role you will:
- Draft, review and negotiate a broad range of contracts, policies, terms and correspondence relating to intellectual property matters
- Provide day-to-day legal support and legal advice to internal business partners on relevant matters, assessing and communicating risk
- Strategically manage GOAT Group’s global IP portfolio, including patent, copyright and trademark prosecution and maintenance
- Collaborate cross-functionally with internal stakeholders to ensure our terms of service and contracts contain best-in-class IP protection
- Develop, implement, and improve compliance policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations, including advertising and copyright laws
- Keep informed of industry-specific regulations and ensure that appropriate risk management strategies are in place
- Actively assist and provide support on corporate transactional matters and strategic initiatives
- Spearhead legal initiatives from start to finish by working in collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Effectively manage outside IP counsel on complex legal matters
- Anticipate and mitigate potential legal problems within the organization and develop strategies to avoid costly litigation and reduce potential areas of risk
- Actively participate in annual and multi-year strategic planning activities
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders from every part of the company as part of cross-functional teams addressing the aforementioned matters
We are looking for:
- Juris doctorate from an accredited law school
- Member of the California or New York Bar
- Expert-level knowledge of trademark and copyright issues, opportunities and best practices for companies in the e-commerce space
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in an IP practice group at a national law firm and/or in house
- Strong knowledge and demonstrable experience in IP law
- Excellent analytical, writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to effectively translate IP issues to members of the creative, technology, business, management and legal teams
- Experience managing IP portfolios, consisting of domestic and foreign rights and registrations
- Experience in structuring, negotiating, reviewing and drafting a variety of contracts in a broad range of areas
- Emerging companies/startup experience is beneficial
- Must possess the highest level of professionalism, work ethic and integrity with the ability to maintain privileged and confidential information
- Must be resourceful, passionate, committed and excited to work for late-stage emerging company'
- We encourage you to apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement. We look for people who are passionate about what we do, not just those who check off all the boxes.
GOAT is the global platform for the greatest products from the past, present and future. Since its founding in 2015, GOAT has become the leading and most trusted sneaker marketplace in the world. Through its unique positioning between the primary and resale markets, the company offers styles across various time periods on its digital platforms and in its retail locations, while delivering products to over 30 million members across 170 countries.
The company is backed by strategic investor Foot Locker, Inc. as well as some of the leading names in venture capital including D1 Capital Partners, Accel, Andreessen Horowitz, Index Ventures, Matrix Partners, Upfront Ventures, Webb Investment Network and Y Combinator.
GOAT Group will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, if applicable. If you are a California resident, please review our California Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants.
Read Full Job Description