Senior Associate, Government Relations (East Coast)
Weedmaps is looking for a dynamic, bright and experienced full-time Senior Government Relations Associate to focus on East Coast initiatives. Primary duties of this position include:
- Collaborating with members of the Government Relations team to organize and implement comprehensive government relations strategies to improve state and local cannabis policy development and implementation outcomes.
- Meeting with as well as cultivating and maintaining relationships with state and local officials ranging from the Governor’s office, State legislators, departments and agencies and industry and non-industry trade groups.
- Tracking legislative and regulatory activity and engaging policy makers on Weedmaps priorities on both tracks, and coordinating Weedmaps contract advocacy teams and other industry participants and industry and non-industry trade groups, as well as Weedmaps’ Public Affairs team.
- Working with Weedmaps Government Relations team to develop written products to support the company’s advocacy initiatives. Exceptional writing, data analysis and interpersonal skills are required. The ideal candidate will have a large rolodex of contacts to leverage as well as the discipline required to work autonomously.
- Tracking of state and local legislation, to include intelligence on emerging legislation
- Coordinating with industry and non-coalition partners
- Drafting factsheets, policy papers and legislation
- Steering grassroots advocacy efforts
- Organizing data to support Weedmaps state and local initiatives
- Represent Weedmaps in meetings with legislators and regulators
- Make internal and external written and oral presentations on behalf of the company
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with legislators, regulators, other policymakers and their staff; travel as needed for meetings with officials
- Maintain coalitions and target grassroots capabilities
- Consult with Weedmaps’ senior leadership to inform and support business planning processes and proactively raise and address issues of concern
- Develop and carry out strategies to influence trade associations and other advocacy organizations
- BA/BS in a related field; Masters in Public Policy or related field preferred
- At least 7 years of legislative, regulatory and political advocacy experience
- Strong research and writing skills, and proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and experience with GSuite a plus
- Experience with drafting policy documents, factsheets and State legislation
- Ability to simultaneously manage and prioritize many tasks, communicate effectively and organize reporting on campaign progress
- A positive, team-oriented attitude and ability to work in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience managing staff and running advocacy teams as well as leveling up and training direct reports
- Fundamental understanding of East Coast state and local government structures and legislative processes
- A self-starting, metrics-driven mentality with the ability to work autonomously
- A collaborative and open-minded atmosphere that is excitingly fast-paced
- Company-paid medical/dental/vision/life insurance
- Fully stocked kitchens with healthy snack and drink options
- Generous paid vacation and sick leave policy
- Competitive maternity/paternity policy
- 401k with competitive match
Who Are We Looking For?
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come.
Formed in 2008, Weedmaps is the largest technology company focused on servicing the legalized marijuana industry in the United States and internationally by providing listing services for dispensaries, delivery services, doctors and brands. Weedmaps has the most comprehensive directory with over 4x the listings of any other service and gives visitors the ability to review and discuss these services while building a sense of community through forums and social networking. The marijuana industry is growing exponentially and the legal and technological challenges it faces are immense. We see this as the perfect opportunity to create unique and innovative solutions that can transform the industry. In addition to developing technology solutions, Weedmaps is also firmly committed to advising on and supporting the legalization of marijuana and the medicines derived from it in a responsible manner.
So what are you waiting for? Join the Weedmaps family!