Regulatory Affairs Associate
Who we are
HopSkipDrive is the innovator in youth transportation, getting kids to their highest potential by removing mobility barriers, one ride at a time. Our platform is the safe, dependable transportation solution schools and families rely on to get kids where they need to go. Through our proprietary technology and innovative safety measures, our platform provides transportation solutions for school districts and families across the country. In addition, we partner with county governments and non-profits to help ensure educational access for some of our most vulnerable youth. We understand that transportation can be the difference between success and struggle, which is why we’re on a mission to use innovative technology, coupled with operational expertise and new thinking to help kids reach their full potential by providing a safe, dependable way to get them where they are going.
From our founding, when 3 moms came together to develop HopSkipDrive as a solution to their challenges getting their own kids where they needed to go, we have continued to innovate and execute, growing to now serve more than 7 markets across the country. We have driven more than 5 million safe miles while getting 750,000+ kids to more than 6,000 schools. Backed by top tier VCs and strategic investors, and with more than $27M in funding, we’re reinventing youth transportation.
We are based in downtown LA. Our mission, our enormous market potential, our team and the technology challenges we are solving make HopSkipDrive one of LA’s Best Places to Work.
Who you are
You are an A+ player who is looking for a challenging and rewarding experience. You are inspired by the mission we are pursuing and by the opportunity to define a new category in an incredibly fast-moving market. You are excited to bring your best everyday, to learn from those around you and to push hard while contributing to our powerful vision of positively impacting kids’ lives everyday.
At HopSkipDrive, we know that to tackle our toughest challenges, we need different approaches, unique perspectives, and new ways of thinking. We are building a team of creative problem-solvers from many different backgrounds. Together we are building the largest, most caring and most productive community of drivers in the world. HopSkipDrive CareDrivers transport thousands of children safely to their destinations everyday.
As Regulatory Affairs Associate, you will be working in Los Angeles and reporting to the Director of Regulatory Affairs and Risk Management. You will be responsible for drafting Transportation Network Company permit applications, managing regulatory affairs stakeholder communication, and providing cross-departmental support to ensure regulatory compliance. The Regulatory Affairs Associate will play a pivotal role in achieving HopSkipDrive’s strategic and financial objectives by ensuring that TNC and other licenses and permits are obtained in accordance with expansion timelines set by HopSkipDrive leadership.
What You'll Do
The following duties will be performed under the direction of the Director of Regulatory Affairs and Risk Management:
- Conduct preliminary regulatory research in all new markets, including but not limited to Transportation Network Company and local Department of Education regulations
- Coordinate and draft Transportation Network Company permit applications, and manage permit applications through to the end to ensure expedient acquisition of permit approval in line with company goals
- Review statutes and regulations to determine compliance implications in new markets and work across HopSkipDrive teams to develop and implement systems to ensure compliance
- Assist driver operations and market expansion teams in determining the best solutions for fingerprinting and background checks in new markets
- Achieve in-depth understanding of HopSkipDrive’ business strategy and platform to effectively identify regulatory challenges and opportunities in new markets
- Ensure appropriate and continuous communication with regulators in new and current markets, and serve as the primary point of contact for select states
- Play a key role in HopSkipDrive expansion plans by identifying regulatory complexities in new markets in order to help inform expansion decisions
Who You Are
- An A+ player who is building a challenging and rewarding career
- Bachelor’s Degree in public policy or related field
- At least 2-3 years of relevant regulatory experience (an advanced degree in public policy or JD may count toward 1-2 of those years)
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to assess and articulate issues clearly and concisely
- Ability to manage a variety of complex tasks simultaneously
- An ability to build and manage relationships with internal and external partners effectively, and exert influence to keep a project or permit application on track
- Strong business acumen with a proven ability to create order out of chaos, distill problems and opportunities down to their essence, establish project timelines and deliver against them
- An entrepreneurial mindset; you are equally comfortable operating as an individual contributor and as a team leader, contributing to strategy as executing tactically. No strategic challenge is too big for you and no task is too small for you.
- Exceptional project management skills, including an ability to take inputs from a variety of sources, including data analysis, deliver on time, engage stakeholders, and maintain up-to-date documentation
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to identify and troubleshoot inefficient, unreliable processes
- Ability to manage a wide range of responsibilities, thrive on solving challenging problems and not afraid to challenge the status quo
- Proficiency in the full range of Google Apps and Microsoft Office Suite required. Advanced Excel and PowerPoint preferred
What you will get
We want you to be an owner in our company and share in executing our vision, so every full-time employee has equity. In addition, we offer competitive market comp, unlimited vacation, FSA, medical, dental and vision, 401(k), weekly catered lunches, and an opportunity to work for a uniquely positioned, VC-backed company in a hugely attractive space with significant upside potential.