Director, Business & Legal Affairs (Royalty Audits) at Universal Music Group
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world's leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
We are currently seeking an eager and exceptional attorney as part of our royalty audit team. The Director will be responsible for working with the other members of the royalty audit team to prepare responses to audit claims and negotiate resolutions of those claims with artist counsel and auditors on behalf of all recorded music business units within the Universal Music Group. The position requires experience and skill in, among other things, negotiating, analyzing contracts and legal issues, and providing practical legal and business advice.
What Bandmember Are You?
- Review and analyze royalty audit claims brought against any of the recorded music labels within the Universal Music Group.
- Work with the other members of the royalty audit team to review the relevant agreements, establish royalty reserves, and prepare written responses to audit reports.
- Coordinate strategy with applicable business units; negotiate settlements with artist counsel and auditors; and draft and negotiate settlement agreements.
- Provide advice and counsel to company executives and internal business units.
How You Will Rock Your Role:
- Intellectual property expertise or music industry experience highly preferred.
- Ability to analyze and provide strategic advice on a wide range of legal issues.
- Knowledge/experience with royalty accounting or financial information preferred.
- Familiarity with new technology and digital music environment preferred.
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skill.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects required.
- Self-starter who requires minimal supervision.
- A keen interest in music and the music industry.
- Qualified candidate with 3+ years experience analyzing contracts, preferably contracts related to the music industry.
- D. member of the California Bar, or qualified to register as an in-house attorney in California.
What's in it For You?
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, "Gift Week", Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer