Counsel - Lending
Honey is a fast-growing startup based in Los Angeles. Our online shopping platform offers users a smarter way to shop. Through a simple browser extension, we open up instant access to exclusive savings, deals, rewards and discovery, all powered by the collective knowledge of Honey’s community of online shoppers. We are helping millions save when they shop online, and we're hiring! We are actively seeking a Counsel- Legal to join the Legal Team in our Los Angeles office.
About The Team:
As a member of the Legal team, you will be reporting to the General Counsel and you will work closely with and provide guidance to the team bringing Honey’s lending product to consumers searching for better payment options for products when shopping online. You will also interact when needed with outside counsel and will help the Legal team run in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
About The Role:
The successful candidate for this Counsel position will primarily support the company's legal and compliance needs with respect to its consumer-facing lending product. Our expectation is that the candidate would provide guidance to our internal team, would represent our team in its interactions with external parties, prepare and revise draft agreements related to the product, and provide guidance to additional constituencies (including accounting, tax and marketing) across the organization as it relates to the product.
What You'll Do:
As a Counsel at Honey, you will:
- Work with outside counsel and internal constituencies to prepare and revise agreements, documents and processes related to the company's lending product
- Build out documents and processes related to compliance matters for the company’s lending product
- Assist current team members with efforts to obtain and maintain state lending licenses
- Proactively identify legal and compliance issues and work with outside counsel and internal team members to resolve those issues
- Manage the legal function's contributions to product and program changes
- Provide contract review support for internal teams focusing on product initiatives
- Perform such other responsibilities as may be deemed necessary - and as you identify - in support of Honey's growth efforts
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience, principally focused on consumer lending matters
- Mastery of applicable federal and state lending laws
- Experience drafting and reviewing agreements and polices related to consumer lending
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Intrigued by the chance to work with folks who like solving hard problems in an efficient manner
- Laser-like attention to detail
- Friendly and personable
- You can be a lawyer's lawyer when needed, but you know when to put away the feathered pen
- Excited to take ownership over projects and see them through to their conclusion with minimal oversight
- Strong computer skills
- Law degree from an accredited law school and CA bar membership (or ability to become a member)
- A background working with consumer-facing web- or app-based product companies
- Prior experience as in-house counsel
- Demonstrated thought leadership in and passion for lending and financial services products
Honey is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.