Welcome to Viant!
For over 21 years, Viant has been a leader in digital advertising, transforming the way marketers connect their brands with consumers. Our industry-leading software, Adelphic, is used every day by the world’s premier brands and agencies to plan, execute and measure the success of their programmatic advertising campaigns. With a culture built on our key company values of Live, Lead, Create and Figure it Out, we’re serious about investing in our employees and are dedicated to creating an inclusive and collaborative environment. At Viant, you’ll have the chance to make a big impact at an exciting time in our company’s history – we’re growing fast on the heels of our recent IPO. If you’re a strategic thinker and creative problem solver who thrives in a fast-paced industry, we want to hear from you.
The Corporate Counsel will be primarily responsible for reviewing, negotiating, and drafting day-to-day contracts. This position will also support the wide variety of legal needs that arise, including assisting with data privacy and regulatory compliance. This role will be expected to demonstrate sound judgement, balance legal and business risk, and proactively tackle projects in new situations.
About the Corporate Counsel position
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of commercial agreements, including SAAS and media buying master service agreements, data licensing agreements, software/IT agreements, data protection agreements, and non-disclosure agreements
- Analyze, assess, and advise on topics including privacy, advertising, intellectual property, and contract interpretation
- Communicate complex topics by creating understandable legal training, guides, and support for colleagues on topics such as Reg FD, HIPAA, COPPA, CCPA, GDPR, political advertising, and Fair Lending Laws
- Work closely with various departments, including Sales, Business Development, IT, Product Technology, and Operations
- Support privacy and self-regulatory compliance programs
- Assist with maintenance of intellectual property portfolio
- Improve upon standard form agreements and legal processes
- Stay informed of applicable laws, regulations, and industry guidance that may impact the business
What You’ll Bring
- 5+ years of experience working at a law firm or in-house legal department with a focus in digital media and data privacy
- Juris doctorate from a top-ranked ABA-accredited school
- Member of California Bar or ability to qualify as Registered In-House Counsel in California, CIPP certification is a plus
- Strong professionalism, collegiality, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in digital advertising, technology, data practices, and licensing
- Good business judgment and excellent writing skills
- Ability to provide practical, solution-oriented counsel in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility and willingness to handle matters outside areas of expertise when required
- Competitive Salary and Bonuses
- Paid benefits for the employees: Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, Life insurance/AD&D
- Paid parental leave
- Health and Wellness programs
- Employee discounts – e.g. gym memberships, wireless plans, entertainment tickets
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Casual Office Atmosphere
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Ongoing Education & Training
- Company Sponsored Events & Team Building Experiences
The Corporate Counsel position will be based at our Irvine, CA Headquarters. Currently, we are working remotely with the option to be on site. Our future approach will be a hybrid working model (in-office/remote) later this year!
Viant is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Viant are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race; color; religion (includes religious beliefs, observance or practice, religious dress or grooming practices); creed; sex; sexual orientation; gender; gender identity or expression; transgender status; pregnancy, childbirth or related condition (including breastfeeding); marital status; national origin; citizenship; military status, veteran status; ancestry, age; physical or mental disability; medical condition (includes cancer or a record or history of cancer), genetic characteristics; or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws, and Viant prohibits harassment based on any such protected basis or characteristics.