Inspire is seeking an Associate Counsel who can support the rapid growth of an impact-driven clean energy technology company. You will work across all departments of the business, enabling critical technology innovations, managing regulatory risk, and creating new opportunities through effective policy engagement. Most importantly, you will be motivated by an acute urgency to combat climate change.
THE ASSOCIATE COUNSEL HAS FOUR MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Unlock Commercial Innovation: Help bring new products to new markets by navigating complex regulatory constructs with a solutions-oriented mindset.
- Optimize & Redesign Regulatory Compliance: Take ownership of Inspire’s compliance program by building a deep understanding of varied, complex regulations and developing a process that ensures perfect performance.
- Support Fast-Paced Business Development: Facilitate strategic partnerships by ensuring all legal risks are properly considered, a process for overcoming regulatory barriers is developed, and all contracts fairly allocate liability.
- Shape Policy: Support state-level advocacy efforts to create commercial opportunity, maintain an equal playing field, and ensure markets properly value impactful energy solutions.
SOME EXPECTED 2019 DELIVERABLES
- Develop a format and cadence for regular briefs on key energy and technology legal developments across all markets.
- Own a program that ensures all regulatory filings and notices are compliant and timely.
- Research, summarize, and socialize regulatory requirements for a new market in a way that ensures all departments understand the relevant law and have the resources required for compliance.
- Develop a contract review and management system, and secure the necessary buy-in from internal stakeholders to maximize utilization.
- Able to independently oversee the compliance program
- Develop strong, authentic relationships across multiple departments
- Empowered to lead your own initiatives
- Passion - You care deeply about your work, recognizing the role it plays in accelerating the success of climate solutions.
- Good Listener - In conversations with peers, you first always seek to understand using attentive listening and clarifying questions.
- Beginner’s Mindset - With grace and humility, you recognize the limits of your knowledge and are eager to fill in the gaps through self-study and peer learning.
- Good Communicator - You can translate legalize for a lay audience, as well as the business and technology lexicon into terms outside counsel will understand.
- Creative - You excel at thinking creatively and strategically when confronted with legal questions, helping partners find a path forward.
- Meticulous - Details matter to you, leading to a low tolerance for errors.
- Analytical - You approach complex questions rationally and methodically, leading to deep understanding and the ability to make thoughtful, evidence-based recommendations.
- Can Disagree without Being Disagreeable - You are able to present and advocate for an opposing view collaboratively, instead of adversarially.
- Must Have
- 2+ years of in-house or commercial law firm experience
- Ability to negotiate standard commercial contracts
- Nice to Have
- Consumer technology experience, with a preference for IoT experience
- Energy experience, with a preference for experience with energy management, and wholesale and retail energy markets
- Admitted to practice law in California
Disrupting the one-size-fits-all utility model, Inspire’s groundbreaking smart home subscription seamlessly combines personalized clean energy plans with best-in-class smart devices. Using the Inspire app, members can self drive their smart homes from anywhere, and select automated settings to use less energy while earning rewards. Inspire strives to make every home a smart home, powered by clean energy. Inspire’s mission is to drive forward a brighter energy future by simplifying consumer adoption of clean energy and smart home technologies.
Through continual innovation and scaling of connected device interoperability; clean energy supply, generation and storage; and intelligent, decentralized grid services, Inspire is building the world’s first fully-integrated clean energy company.
Launched in January 2014, Inspire homes have used the clean power production equivalent of 121 wind turbines since inception. Driven by a team of mission-driven Avengers in Philadelphia and Santa Monica,, Inspire prides itself on a culture of ownership, teamwork and stalwart obsession with “crushing it!”
CULTURE & PERKS
- Inspire’s culture balances the serious nature and tone of a professional company with the move-fast-and-execute tone of a rapidly growing emerging tech company. We believe in working hard and producing, but doing it in a positive and friendly environment where collaboration is rampant. Inspire calls its employees Avengers. It’s a team out to even the score on behalf of the common man, to challenge the status quo and confront apathy and old-world bureaucracy.
- Every Avenger lives for the mission: To build the world’s most customer-focused clean power platform and inspire a connected moment towards a brighter energy future. Avengers are scrappy, restless, humble and committed to balancing passion with purpose and profit.
- Inspire offers competitive compensation and equity packages, plus benefits such as health, vision, life, and dental insurance - Not to mention, unlimited vacation, 401(k) plan, and LOTS of cupcakes!