Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is working to expand financial access, choice and control to underserved consumers globally. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
We are reinventing credit by using alternative data to underwrite customers in real time, without reliance on traditional credit reports and helping our users build an entirely new financial identity through digital credit. Our proprietary identity and credit scoring technologies have helped us lend to over 1M+ customers overlooked by traditional finance – with the goal of serving an estimated underserved population of 3 billion globally!
At Tala, we see the world differently. We’re driven by a fundamental belief in people, and we work hard to prove their potential. We take risks that others won’t, in order to put more power in our customers’ hands. Every day, we challenge the limits of a system that has left 3 billion people behind – committing to building a world where underserved people everywhere have financial access, choice, and control. We call this way of doing things Radical Trust. We think trust will be the currency that drives a better financial system – one that sees, understands and serves more of the world’s people.
We are looking to hire a talented attorney to join the team managing our legal operations in global emerging markets. This role is predominantly focused on growing our international operations in multiple foreign markets. We need an all-star attorney who is excited to “roll up their sleeves” and negotiate commercial contracts, manage various transactions, ensure corporate governance and other compliance and address the unique matters in a growing startup. We are seeking a highly motivated, self-starter who enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced and collaborative environment. In this challenging position, you will report to our General Counsel and work closely with our Expansion team. Your responsibilities will include:
- Working with Expansion and other business teams to operate in global markets
- Be responsible for legal matters in multiple overseas markets
- Collaborate with Operations team to manage regulatory compliance matters
- Negotiate and review commercial contracts
- Work with our General Counsel on other special projects
Tala is seeking an Associate Legal Counsel with FinTech experience and international transactional experience to help us operate and expand in overseas markets and work on other legal matters. To succeed in this role, you’ll need:
- A passion for Tala’s mission
- Experience working with overseas markets
- Law degree
- Outstanding writing, research, and interpersonal skills
- Admitted to the bar in any state, preferably California
- Three to five years of experience, two years at a FinTech or financial services company
- Experience managing various transactional matters
- Experience working on commercial contracts
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience working at a startup
- Experience operating in foreign markets
- Exposure to or familiarity with international laws and regulations, preferably in emerging markets
- Experience in consumer finance and financial regulation
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by Google Ventures, IVP, Revolution, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others.
Benefits and Perks
We offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive health and wellness coverage, 401k and reimbursement for commuting expenses. To promote healthy work-life balance, we offer unlimited paid time off and paid parental leave. At Tala, we provide enriching opportunities for personal and professional development, including travel to our global markets to meet with actual customers.
We truly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.