Intern, Software Engineering
At Edmunds we’re driven to make car buying easier. Ever since we began publishing printed car guides in the 60’s, the company has been in the business of trust, innovating ways to empower and support car shoppers. When Edmunds launched the car industry’s first Internet site in 1994, we established a leadership position online and have never looked back. Now, as one of the most trusted review sites on the Internet, millions of visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next car. For consumers, we bring peace of mind. For dealers, we make tools to help them solve their problems and sell more cars. How do we do it, you ask? The key ingredients are our enthusiastic employees, progressive company culture and cutting-edge technology. Want to join the team? Read on to find out how!
What You’re Applying For:
By working closely with Data Engineering team members, you will get hands-on experience solving complex data problems using Big Data frameworks and methodologies. You’ll be helping the company make sense of the torrent of data it receives, empowering analytics on existing products as well as providing insights on potential new opportunities for growth.
What You’ll Do:
- Learn patterns and best practices for developing software that deals with Big Data.
- Help devise scalable, maintainable and reliable pipelines that process very large quantities of structured and unstructured data.
- Work with analysts and business owners to understand their needs and translate them into production code.
- Develop monitoring and alerting capabilities for production pipelines.
What You Need:
- Enrollment in a BS or MS degree program in Computer Science, Math, Engineering or equivalent experience
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Desire to learn new technologies.
- Any experience with Java or Scala would be a plus.
Why do you want this internship:
- Being able to make sense out of data is quickly becoming a must-have at any business. The amount of data we generate day to day is growing exponentially. The data comes in batches and streams in volumes previously unheard of. Anywhere from IoT devices, to genomics, to increasingly complex web analytics, every company must soon become a data driven organization in order to compete. Having an understanding of how to ingest, transform, aggregate, load, and analyze this data at scale is a vital skill for the future for any engineer.
- Edmunds.com is all about growth and being at the forefront of technology, and being in such a dynamic sector, the Data Engineering team takes that philosophy to heart as well. We are proponents of adapting to the landscape and ensuring our engineers are always up to date on the latest technologies. Through this internship, you will gain valuable real-world experience in a sector that is rapidly growing.
Working @ Edmunds.com:
Employees think it’s a pretty great place to work and some pretty impressive publications think it is too: we have been recognized as one of the best places to work by the Fortune Magazine and Great Places to Work, LA Business Journal (for the last 6 years!), Computerworld, and Built in LA. We've also been identified as one of the best workplaces specifically in Technology and also for Diversity and Asian Americans. In fact, our CEO, Avi Steinlauf, was rated as one of Glassdoor's Highest Rated CEOs! If you’re interested in learning more and joining our mission, we’d love to hear from you!
Edmunds will consider for employment qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable laws.