Curatorial Intern - Saatchi Art at Leaf Group
Saatchi Art is the world’s leading online art gallery, established with the goal of helping people all over the world connect with art and artists they love. We offer an unparalleled selection of paintings, drawings, sculpture, and photography in a wide range of prices, and provide artists worldwide with an expertly curated environment in which to exhibit and sell their work. Based in Los Angeles, Saatchi Art is redefining the experience of buying and selling art, making it welcoming and accessible for artists and collectors alike.
We are looking for a Curatorial Intern to join our art advisory team and build hands-on curatorial skills while discovering the work of emerging artists. This is a paid internship working remotely.
Leaf Group is a house of brands, creating and cultivating digital-first companies in growing lifestyle categories: Fitness & Wellness (Well+Good, Livestrong.com); Home & Decor (Hunker, Society 6), and Art & Design (Saatchi Art, The Other Art Fair). Additionally, we have performance focused brands in key categories such as Travel, Pets, and DIY (OnlyInYourState, Cuteness, eHow). Our media and marketplace brands are authentic and authoritative, reaching a large and growing passionate audience.
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We look for proactive, accountable people focused on continuous learning and growth to push themselves and our businesses forward. Check us out here.
You’ll Report To: Senior Curator
A typical day as a Curatorial Intern might include:
- Supporting the curatorial team in day-to-day objectives;
- Researching key art-world moments (upcoming exhibitions, art fairs, artist birthdays etc);
- Responding to daily inbound inquiries from artists and collectors;
- Supporting the art advisory team with administrative tasks including data entry, processing payments and record keeping;
- Drafting blog posts and assisting with content creation for our blog, Canvas;
- Editing collections of artworks to assist with marketing and curation content deliverables;
- Outreach to artists to support portfolio maintenance, informational requests etc.
You’ll be successful if you are an exceptional go-getter, inquisitive, interested in art, and want to contribute to Saatchi Art’s growth and success. We’re looking for someone who can roll up their sleeves and take advantage of the opportunity to intern at a fast-paced eCommerce company.
Our ideal candidate is/has:
- A great eye for art and design and knowledge of art history, particularly of Contemporary Art;
- Effective communication skills and ability to think outside of the box when it comes to problem solving;
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to proofread and self correct with little oversight;
- Comfortable working on a computer, is fluent in G-Suite, and can learn new software platforms quickly;
- Acute attention to detail, especially when it comes to Excel spreadsheets;
- Bachelor’s degree - Art History is a plus, but not a requirement;
- Ability to intern from our Santa Monica office for a minimum of 3 months and 32-40 hours per week (though we are currently working remotely!).
- Above all, is eager and enthusiastic to learn and work alongside a collaborative team.
What We Have:
- Winner of Comparably's 2018 Best Company LA Award and 2017 Best Company for Diversity Award
- Winner of Built In LA's 2018 Top Companies to Work for
- Paid Internship
- Discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
- Most importantly, hands-on experience within a fast-moving and fun environment!
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.