The Payroll Manager is a hands-on subject matter expert on payroll regulations and leads the Payroll function with primary responsibility for the overall calculation, submission, and payment of accurate SG team member payroll and related communication to team members, leadership and payroll vendors. These duties include producing accurate paychecks and managing all payroll related payments, including 3rd party payments of pre-tax and post-tax deductions and payroll taxes.
- Lead the payroll team and function for SG to ensure the timely and accurate preparation and delivery of the organization’s payroll and payroll initiatives.
- Evolving payroll practices to prepare for company growth and to simplify employee interactions with the function.
- Administer and ensure compliance for all voluntary and involuntary deductions, including benefits, 401K, Family Fund, garnishments, etc.
- Conduct appropriate withholding of federal, state, local and provincial income taxes in partnership with Accounting / Finance and the People teams.
- Partner with the Controller to prepare for year end processing of W2’s and company payroll tax returns.
- Serve as the Payroll SME for the implementation of HRIS module implementations such as UTA (Ulti Time & Attendance system). Design and document workflow and make recommendations for process improvement within our weekly payroll timekeeping reconciliation practices to save time and increase accuracy.
- Ensure compliance practices with regard to payroll data integrity.
- Partner with Payroll Supervisor, Sr. HRIS Manager and Business Applications Lead to review, update and document SOPs for all payroll processing activities following the recent launch of Ultipro, our new HRIS system, and recommend changes as needed. Concurrently, work with Sr. HRIS Manager to implement the workflows in the payroll software. I.e., payroll & onboarding, payroll & hris, payroll and finance, etc.
- Respond to and manage the team to resolve payroll inquiries via ZenDesk and serve as the main point-of-contact for payroll within the organization to lead process improvement and elevate the employee experience when interacting with the function.
- Mentor the team while providing growth and learning opportunities through individual 1;1’s with direct reports and quarterly functional meetings to ensure alignment with leadership expectations and throughout the organization.
- Coordinate all activities relating to annual discretionary bonus payments, commissions, executive comp payouts and other year-end activities impacting employees and ad hoc payroll runs.
- Provide customer and stakeholder support for issues that arise and develop a plan for problem resolution along with mitigation of issues on a go-forward basis.
- Engage in the typical activities and responsibilities of a manager including planning, evaluating, organizing, and integrating, while maintaining a focus on teamwork, communication and the change management process in order to be successful.
- Act as a liaison between the organization and our 3rd party partners to ensure all teams are aligned as it relates to payroll processing and related activities.
- Responsible for SOX controls within the payroll organization, and actively participate in audits (internal and external).
- Keeps abreast of current payroll tax requirements and relevant laws associated with employee wage and benefits, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, payroll taxes, employee federal/state income and social security taxes, State Unemployment Insurance, workers compensation, etc. Specifically all requirements and relevant laws associated with the non-exempt population across multiple states
- Ensures payroll processes are in compliance/alignment with government regulations, laws, and organization processes, practices, and guidelines. Performs audits and analyzes reports to identify and resolve payroll, compliance and disbursement issues
- Applies for and maintains Covid related tax programs
- Reconciles workers compensation where required by Finance by using quarterly filings and earnings from payroll system
- Review federal form 941 and other state tax reports prepared by 3rd party tax service, verify federal and state tax payments to ensure compliance with deposit requirements
- Troubleshoot with Accounting Team to Reconcile payroll to labor expense and record journal entries to allocate labor costs
- Work with Accounting Team to reconcile and process other payroll journal entries as required; perform monthly reconciliation of payroll accounts in the general ledger
- Run, audit and save all post-payroll reports for every payroll ran, both regular and off-cycle
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or HR preferred but not required•
- Seven years of progressively responsible payroll experience required,with a minimum of 3 years of supervisory/leadership responsibilities.
- Experience in using “online” applications such as Google suite applications required(Google Sheets, Box, etc)
- Previous experience and demonstrated success leading, managing, and building teams required
- Experience using payroll software systems required; Ultimate Software
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent organization skills and ability to work under competing deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- A hands-on, working manager, with the ability and willingness to “get involved in the details”.
- demonstrated ability to research, make recommendations and act on changes to tax items and related policies
- Ability to work both independently and on teams
- Strong analytical, mathematical and problem-solving skills, organization skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate with professionals at all levels
- Strong planning and organizing skills to lead the payroll team and function while prioritizing and adapting to evolving business priorities to deliver results on time.
- Manage confidential/sensitive information exhibit professionalism and discretion needed
What you'll get:
- Three different medical plans to suit your and your family's needs
- Dental and Vision insurance
- Flexible PTO plan
- 401k; company match of 50% up to 3% of employee contribution
- 5 months paid family leave; we believe in fully supporting new parents
- Employee HSA and FSA
- Complimentary greens
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Free sweetgreen swag
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 4,500 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means.
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.