Head of People & Places
Greater LA Area
We’re NEXT: a Sequoia-backed startup on a mission to build the country’s largest (and happiest) virtual fleet. Our mobile app powers the first trucker-centric marketplace with smart technology designed to make it easy for shippers to find capacity and for drivers to find loads; beyond long-haul trucking, we're also using technology to tackle supply chain challenges more broadly by innovating solutions for drayage and port operations. Since our founding in 2015, our 15K drivers have moved over $50 billion in cargo –and we’re just getting started.
If you are the humble, gritty, passionate, collaborative, entrepreneurial type who thrives in a fast-paced growing tech company, come join colleagues from Apple, Snap, Uber, and Amazon as we revolutionize the $800 billion trucking industry. We have big ambitions and are looking for people who want to help us take logistics to the NEXT level!
As the Head of People & Places, you are a people-focused person striving to create a positive, fulfilling and motivating work environment that recognizes where we are and where we’re going. You will keep a grounded pulse of our culture, creating a sense of unity and camaraderie across all our locations while remaining observant to each of our subcultures (logistics, transportation and tech backgrounds).
We are doubling our size over the next year so you will be crucial to the transition and success of NEXT. You will act as counsel and partner with our leadership team when it comes to strategic planning, performance management, total rewards, employee relations, culture & engagement, org structure, HR ops and much more. You will have a blank canvas to build, design and create the culture you want to be a part of.
The ideal person will have experience in a fast-paced tech startup and isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves while also leading our organization.
What You’ll Do
- HR Related:
- Leadership: this role will have ownership over our diverse workforce. You must excel at balancing between employees and our leadership team. Collaborate with key stakeholders across the company to create, implement and optimize all things employee related and also be a reliable confidant to our employees.
- Policies and processes: develop, implement, and iterate on employee policies that comply with applicable law and advance objectives in the areas where we have employees and operations. Develop and manage the handbook to ensure that company wide practices align with company culture.
- Total Rewards: create and manage company wide compensation, programs, benefits and perks to ensure NEXT is remaining competitive with the industry’s top companies.
- Learning & Development: implement training programs and tools to assist managers in leading teams as well as helping employees develop skills and continuously improve their performance.
- Performance Management: ensure that philosophies, programs and practices are implemented and executed to support a culture that values accountability and performance.
- Workplace Experience:
- Bring to life a workplace environment through purposeful work, personal growth, job satisfaction, pay/benefits, recognition, community, food/drinks, facilities, team activities, and more.
- Continually re-think workplace experience with a human-centric approach.
- Assist in designing an office environment to inspire and improve employee community and productivity.
- Oversee the Office Management, Assistants, and Facilities teams, which includes, scoping, resourcing, and budgeting.
- Partner with our leadership team to shape the NEXT culture, mission and values.
- Ensure employees are excited to come to work every day, ready to produce results and make a positive difference.
- Develop programs designed to enhance and reinforce employee morale and productivity, and recognize employees for their contributions to the company’s success.
- Evaluate companies and industries who have strong company cultures and drive change at NEXT to remain competitive.
- Lead Diversity and Inclusion programs and strategies to ensure we are creating an inclusive and represented environment.
What You’ll Need:
- About 8+ years of HR experience with a significant amount of time in a fast paced, tech company. Consulting experience is a bonus!
- High EQ. We have a diverse workforce which includes our “office” employees, remote workers, drivers and carriers.
- Solid understanding of small company dynamics which includes being fully comfortable with ambiguity, adaptability and flexibility.
- Strong problem solving skills and business acumen. There is a lot of work ahead of us and we need someone who excels at building something from nothing, but is strategic and knows how to scale.
- Attention to detail with quick execution. We need to do things quickly and we need to do them well. Balancing those can be challenging, and this should be a strength.
- Ability to learn new skills and grow with the role/company. From directing and overseeing operational processes and projects on day one to company expansion. You will be comfortable with adaptability, change, scalability and ambiguity.
What You’ll Receive:
- Explosive career path!
- The ability to create a culture and team from the ground up.
- Opportunity to make an impact and drive positive change.
- An opportunity to join a company that is disrupting an old school industry and continue to make it successful.
- Partner with some of the most humble, smart and ambitious team members.
What We Offer:
- Competitive base salary, bonus + equity
- Full medical, dental and vision benefits 401k w/ company match
- Vacation and Holidays
- Dog friendly office
- Flex Hours (we know SoCal traffic)
Read Full Job Description