Head of Learning & Development at sweetgreen
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 4,000 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means. Our teams are our most valuable ingredient - the heart of our company, the face of our brand, and what truly makes the sweetgreen experience special and unique.
The Head of Learning and Development will be a key member of the People Leadership Team, responsible for assessing current learning needs and delivering programs and solutions to help us scale programming and resources across our field and corporate team members. We are looking for an experienced team leader, with a background in the restaurant industry, understanding of tech company culture, expertise in learning and development philosophy, and the desire to truly innovate as an industry leader in this space.
Our mission as a People Team is to obsess over the employee experience to enable sweetgreen employees to do the best work of their lives. To this end, you will lead an existing team and work cross-functionally to build and evolve a learning and development strategy and function which meets the current and future needs of our rapidly growing business.
- Create an innovative global learning and development philosophy which incorporates the latest technology (e.g., AR, AI, machine learning, learning cloud) and best practices in the learning and development space
- Build a learning and development function serving corporate and field employees, leading a small team of learning specialists and working cross-functionally to successfully execute high-impact solutions in the field and our Treehouse (corporate)
- Assess current state, design the strategy, and direct the implementation and evaluation of innovative and scalable learning solutions which support organizational goals
- Empower employees, managers, and leaders to feel ownership over their career and personal growth through impactful programming and delivery of self-serve resources
- Anticipate and prepare for future skills requirements for our field and store employees, including understanding the impact of technology, both in how our teammates learn and how they conduct their work
- An innovator, energized by leveraging new tech and trends including AR, AI, machine learning, learning cloud, who fails forward and explores new and untested methods in the learning and development space
- A coach, excellent at developing others, able to build trust, gain credibility, and empower a team to deliver the best work of their lives
- A superb project and program manager, able to assess needs, set a vision, prioritize appropriately, present creative solutions, develop action plans, execute and measure results
- A resilient leader, with the humility and self-awareness to work effectively through and with others in a fast-paced and ambiguous environment
- A strong communicator, skilled in clearly contextualizing changes to functional or company strategy and roadmaps, inspiring a team to deliver high-impact work amidst shifting priorities
- A business partner, obsessed with the employee experience and able to translate organizational needs into integrated learning and development solutions
- Candidates must be willing to relocate to the Greater Los Angeles area
- 10+ years of experience in a learning and development function (e.g., instructional design, LMS, behavioral change practices, delivering value metrics), including both field and corporate experience
- 5+ years of experience leading teams (including virtual and remote teams)
- Proven experience delivering top tier learning and development solutions optimized for effectiveness across different audiences (understanding of AR, AI, machine learning, learning cloud preferred)
- Experience working cross-functionally and externally to resource programs
- Experience developing learning strategies for engineers and technical teams in a corporate environment
- Deep understanding of restaurant operations and management of hourly employees (e.g., field management, training, and/or leadership in a fast-casual or full-service restaurant)
What you’ll get:
- Competitive pay + bonus plan based on performance
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- Flexible PTO, because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Our annual Impact Retreat offsite
- Free sweetgreen swag
- Complimentary sweetgreen
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.