Generalist, People and Culture
XPRIZE competitions change the world for the better by accelerating innovation life cycles, catalyzing markets, and energizing stakeholders.
The XPRIZE Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to inspiring and incentivizing breakthroughs to the most critical challenges facing humanity. Since its beginning in 1994, the Foundation has been building and continues to build a vision of hope and abundance for humanity’s future by harnessing the power of innovators, technology, and resources.
Through incentive prize competitions, XPRIZE enables people to create bold and transformative solutions that are scalable and drive real impact. XPRIZE competitions positively impact both the marketplace and humanity by addressing the market failures that have prevented significant breakthroughs across multiple sectors.
sets an audacious but achievable goal that aims to overcome challenges deemed impossible. It tackles some of humanity's most pressing issues by redefining what is achievable and pushing the boundaries of human potential.
defines and addresses a clear problem through extensive research, a design sprint, and a competition that catalyzes the development of the next breakthroughs to put humanity on the path toward a preferred future state for all. The desired outcome from an XPRIZE is clear and measurable, and the rules of the competition are transparent and easily understood.
democratizes innovation by encouraging expert and nonexpert participation and multidisciplinary collaboration.
catalyzes markets and revitalizes stagnant industries by increasing awareness of market failures and accelerating innovations to address them.
is highly leveraged, with competing teams attracting and mobilizing investment capital, partner support, and new members in pursuit of the prize. Philanthropic dollars are thus magnified in support of a solution.
Our first XPRIZE, the $10 million Ansari XPRIZE for private spaceflight, spurred an industry and created exponential breakthroughs. Since then we have provided over $140 million in incentives through these competitions. Each prize has created an industry-changing technology that brings us closer to a better, safer, more sustainable world.
The use of incentive competitions, or prizes, to accelerate innovation goes back over 300 years, to when the British Admiralty launched the Longitude Prize in 1714 to find a better way to navigate our seas. In the years since, several well-known innovations have resulted from incentive competitions, including canning as a form of food preservation (a competition launched by Napoleon in 1795), modern plastics (the Billiard Ball Prize, 1863) and commercial aviation (the Orteig Prize, 1919).
This is more than a job to us. When you work at XPRIZE, you’re making a positive impact on some of the biggest challenges facing our world. Whether you’re working in prize design or development, marketing and communications, stakeholder relations, business operations or any other department, you’re playing a critical role in turning the impossible into the possible.
The People and Culture Generalist is accountable for the employment experience processes such as onboarding, benefits administration, event planning, facilities, Diversity and Inclusion, employee relations, talent and performance management, as well as Payroll. The role requires an extremely detailed and proactive gatekeeper that possesses the skills of hospitality and finesse required for a high-touch, high-demand, customer service culture. The People and Culture Generalist must have a working knowledge of state/federal law and be able to contribute to thought leadership around best practices as well as maintain Human Resource fundamentals; understanding the WHY. The role requires a high level of organization, speed, attention to detail, personal initiative as well as being dependable and trustworthy team member. This position requires an extremely perceptive person who can relate to individuals at all levels within the organization. The People and Culture Generalist must be sensitive to Foundation needs, and employee goodwill, proactively navigating around situations to cultivate an upbeat and relaxing environment that nurtures creativity, productivity, and a safe and healthful work environment.
The People & Culture Generalist will manage the life cycle of our XPRIZER’s and the day-to-day operations of HR. In this role, you will have the opportunity to display your exceptional customer service, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
Responsibilities are in several disciplines of the HR function including, payroll, worker’s comp, onboarding, compliance, training & development, HRIS, employee relations, facilities, and employee engagement.
In this role, you will work with the Director of Organizational Development and Talent Strategy to build, enhance, and evolve a healthy, vibrant employee experience throughout the employee lifecycle, from attraction to exit.
Strong project management skills will be key to be successful in this role, as well as the ability to adapt and flex across many people programs and processes with the HR organization. While strategic and critical thinking is necessary, the role entails significant tactical and administrative responsibilities.
- Serves as a point of contact to team members, answering questions and helping employees navigate all aspects of People & Culture operations, including topics such as performance management, compensation, payroll, benefits, training & development, work/life, employee perks, company policies, etc.
- Ensures planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by training managers to coach and discipline employees, scheduling management conferences with employees, hearing and resolving employee grievances through the full cycle through to resolution; counseling employees and supervisors.
- Responsible for the administration of the onboarding experience, new hire set-up, employee changes, and separation process.
- Monitors employee eligibility for all benefits plans.
- Reviews benefits with employees and processes enrollment, cancellation or changes.
- Organizes and manages annual open enrollment communications and election process.
- Verifies benefits billing accuracy and oversees processes for payment.
- Census data and testing, and reporting.
- Oversees and administers COBRA for group health plans.
- 401(K), FSA and HSA, and ancillary insurance Administrator.
- Cultivates ideas for employee culture experiences and coordinates event planning for company culture experiences.
- Oversees and coordinates facilities and space planning, maintaining a safe and healthful work environment. (i.e. Ergonomic assessments).
- Maintains and coordinates employee recognition programs.
- Participates and leads key initiatives and projects relative to integration, change management, and process improvement implementations.
Payroll & HRIS
- Manages the processes for on-boarding new hires into Namely, entering personnel changes, personnel transactions, completing employment verifications; maintaining employee files, and background checks.
- Oversees the maintenance of current employee data systems, ensures all payroll information and records are maintained in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Administers payroll including weekly reminders, full cycle-payroll, audits, and year-end, compliance with taxes and other state and federal regulations, and reporting.
Compliance and other HR Practices
- Development and implementation of policy and procedures.
- Administration of Foundation’s compensation program.
- Ensures compliance with USCIS Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification; periodically audits I-9 forms
- Maintains and processes all Unemployment Notices of Entitlement and potential charges in a timely, efficient manner. Attends unemployment hearings when necessary.
- The administrator of HRIS and other HR systems and processes and provides support to staff and team by troubleshooting as well as updating systems.
- Administers compliance training (i.e. Sexual Harassment, Safety).
- Verification of employment.
- Maintains organizational chart
- Conducts HR audits.
- Manage LOAs.
- Works with regulatory agencies and completes forms and reports.
- Internal reporting and metrics
- Keeps job descriptions up-to-date, accurate and compliant with relevant federal, state and local laws for all positions.
- Conducts exit interviews.
- Contributes to designing and maintaining safety programs and reports, maintains and monitors all workers' compensation case files; follows-up on open cases.
- Creates and maintains user guides to ensure best practices.
- Front desk coverage as needed (only as a backup to EA’s should they not be available).
- Maintains digital and hard files for employee personnel, payroll, medical, vendor and consultant and maintains file retention in the storage room.
- Manages and tracks all employee disciplinary action.
- Maintains, updates and distributes employee and operations-related information.
- Maintains the performance management process.
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from 4-year college or university and a minimum of 3 to 5 years of related experience.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) designation preferred.
- Proven performance in supporting an HR agenda, employee relations topics, and culture-building initiatives
- An innovative problem solver who is proactive and likes to get things done
- Strong interpersonal skills, good intuition, and the ability to communicate to all levels of the organization
- Confidentiality is not an issue for you; you know what you can say when you can say it, and whom you can say it to
- Ability to prioritize workload, handle multiple tasks at once, and strong attention to detail is required
- Problem solver. Dig in and research best in class process and employee experiences.
- Proficiency in Mac and Google applications, especially with Sheets, Slides, and Docs
- HR Expertise. Working knowledge of state, federal and company policies.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and consultative skills.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects while also thriving within a team setting.
- Experience handling confidential and complex data sets.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills; proactive with excellent follow-through.
Come change the world with us.
XPRIZE Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to having a truly inclusive workforce. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation or on the basis of actual or perceived gender as expressed through dress, appearance, or behavior.