Director, Total Rewards at Apeel Sciences
About This Role
At Apeel Sciences, we look to nature to help the global food system to improve quality, reduce waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet. As Apeel’s first leader of our Total Rewards function, you will help develop innovative global compensation and benefits strategies to enable the business to drive company growth and profitability. You will also be responsible for job evaluation, competitive assessment, survey administration and program administration of salary, bonus and long-term incentive plans for all employees.
This position is focused on addressing our unique business needs and developing creative solutions informed by the knowledge of market practices to create and maintain compelling and competitive compensation programs that attract, engage, reward and retain top talent. The ideal candidate is a compensation and benefits expert who is passionate about providing innovative solutions to support broader business or organizational objectives.
What You’ll Do
- Develop processes and oversee the communications, roll-out, and project management of the annual compensation planning process for corporate employees globally (merit increases, bonuses, promotions, cash and equity incentive planning, etc.)
- Responsible for ensuring our executive compensation program is competitive, attracts/retains top executive talent and creates the right pay for performance alignment with our financial results and returns to our shareholders.
- Leads the design and implementation in partnership with finance of our equity compensation program, including determining the right levels, vehicles, mix and approaches to drive accountability to results, growth and retention. Includes providing recommendations and benchmarking
- Provides technical guidance, in consultation with finance, on legal, tax and other regulatory compensation issues affecting program designsPartner with peers to refine and design overall company incentive programs
- Works cross functionally with each of the People & Culture functional teams to drive inter-departmental and cross-functional process improvements
- Ensures Senior leaders understand our compensation philosophy
- Oversees participation in compensation surveys and competitive benchmarking, focusing on practices in the life sciences and technology industries
- Monitors external market and economic trends to stay current with market practices and explores creative and competitive ways to fine-tune compensation infrastructure, as applicable
- Consults with HR Business Partners, talent acquisition team, and client groups to address compensation needs or inquiries for both general and executive employees – covering topics such as: job evaluation, competitive assessment, employment contracts, program administration, and compensation infrastructure
- Develops, implements and administers the programs, policies and procedures for global benefits strategy and program execution in partnership with P&C international leaders
- Ensures benefits programs meet employee needs, are legally compliant and cost effective
- Works in partnership with benefits vendors ensuring a positive working relationship and regular program updates including regular business reviews
- Benchmarks benefits offering against comparable businesses and industries in each country of operation and ensures offerings align with the overall philosophy of Apeel
What You Bring
- 10+ years of experience in global compensation administration and design
- Strong leader with a player/coach approach
- Proven ability to conceptualize, lead, and implement global compensation initiatives for a high growth, global organization
- Expert strategist who continuously and proactively identifies opportunities to maintain a competitive compensation and incentive model that can attract and retains talent, while aligning with broader business or organizational objectives
- Top-tier analytical and mathematical skills with advanced understanding of compensation-related accounting, financial statements, and relevant regulatory requirements
- Exceptional project management skills with a demonstrated track record of delivering high-quality results in a fast-paced, complex, dynamic business environment
- Ability to engage and influence a diverse audience
- Dedicated leader with the ability to forge lasting, impactful relationships, as proven by seamless collaboration with clients/partners, or building and maintaining a high-functioning team
- Service-oriented leader who strives to provide efficient, informative, and supportive guidance and direction to drive engagement from the business or HR partners, even when navigating through ambiguity or balancing multiple tasks simultaneously
- Trusted thought-partner who is equally comfortable working collaboratively, or acting as an owner to roll-up their sleeves and execute projects through to completion
- Demonstrated initiative in a fast-moving environment; proactive problem solver who leads with courage of conviction, passion, strong work ethic and steadfast integrity – trusted to exercise discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Resilient in the face of change with the ability to pivot, adapt, and perform in a rapidly changing environment
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with the ability to translate findings into clear to present complex material to senior leaders
- Advanced Excel/sheets (e.g., pivot tables, complex formulas) and PowerPoint/slides proficiency
- Previous experience at a Technology and/or high growth start up company a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree required; preferred specialty in economics, statistics or related discipline
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.