VP, Finance and Strategy at MotorTrend Group
Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver’s Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The VP of Finance and Strategy (full-time, salaried, regular) will work within the Finance group to provide support to the Head of Finance to direct the fiscal operations and inform strategic decisions of the Company. This includes providing clear concise financial information, strategic and tactical inputs to the MotorTrend Executive team and business leaders
The position is responsible for mentoring a high performing finance and strategy team to deliver proactive and actionable insights to the Head of Finance including, creating strategy decks or go to market decks for potential M&A activity
You will love working here if you are a self-starter, like dynamic business environment, like creating strategy decks and enjoy working with a young but extremely talented finance/BI team to influence the strategic vision of the Company.
You will not like working here if you need a work week that’s predictable or do not prefer change management or if helping a team re-evaluate work processes to adapt to the ever changing media landscape is not your thing.]. Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Serve as the point person for all external and internal reporting requirements
- Identify areas of improvement in the business by working in tandem with the VP, BI and Analytics by reviewing weekly/monthly performance of content, marketing campaigns and product performance
- Work with key stakeholders in the ad sales teams to ensure current performance is in line with strategy
- Lead and execute strategies needed to remain competitive in the ad sales business
- Ensure that financial forecasts/budgets and long-range plans reflect the Company’s performance and strategic vison
- Create financial decks to report financial and operational performance to internal and external stakeholders
- Mentor the team to evolve their skill sets from tactical doers to critical thinkers
- Work with the CFO to create pitch decks for new business opportunities including buying and selling of assets and/or M&A activity.
- Lead the content greenlight process and establish best practices for assessing value of content library
- Determine the ROI of new initiatives and expansion plans
- Assist the CFO in creating board decks and external stakeholder reporting
- Partner with the BI and Data Engineering team to identify areas of opportunity to effectively combine data from disparate sources. Connect to and transform data using a consistent, sustainable approach
- This position may include supervising one or more employees where applicable. Supervisory responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide consistent training, support, and mentorship to team
- Review and approve individual timecards (as needed) and time-off requests to ensure optimal staffing levels
- Effective, fair, and consistent performance management
- Fairly and consistently ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
- [further supervisory duties/responsibilities, if applicable]
- 7+ years in the media business or with DTC products as a senior level finance person.
- Either a Finance MBA or CPA required
- Hand on experience with creating strategy/pitch decks
- Experience and deep understanding of the budgeting, forecasting and long-range planning process
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Proven ability to lead, mentor and develop a finance and strategy team in a dynamic environment.
- Presenting key initiatives, strategy to senior level executives
- Expert level knowledge of power point and excel
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Google Suite
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
- This role will be working remotely until Q3 2021
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.