Sr. Manager, Accounting at Leaf Group
Leaf Group is a diversified Internet company that builds platforms to enable communities of creators to reach dedicated audiences in the ever-growing lifestyle categories.
We are looking for a Sr. Manager, Accounting to help our Finance team from our Santa Monica office.
We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of art, design and technology. We want people with an intense curiosity, a commitment to high quality service, who embrace the fun of the journey. Come help us disrupt and transform the digital media and art world!
You’ll Report To: VP, Controller
A typical day as a Sr. Manager, Accounting would include:
- Manage complex accounting and financial processes including accounting transactions and account reconciliations for all revenue, including timing of revenue recognition.
- Understand, interpret and analyze accounting pronouncements pertaining to revenue recognition, including ASC 606. Responsible for revenue accounting for company initiatives, which requires researching accounting pronouncements to determine the correct accounting methodology, documenting application of accounting guidance, and executing transactions in accordance with GAAP.
- Oversee the company’s revenue, accounts receivable, billing and allowance processes.
- Work with business leaders to ensure accounting processes are established for new products and business lines.
- Develop a team highly motivated, result-oriented individuals through effective leadership practices; ensures adequate staffing levels to maintain efficient team performance.
- Work with internal/external auditors for all revenue related items, ensuring internal controls are properly executed and financial statements are accurate for all revenue items (and their corresponding balance sheet accounts).
- Responsible for ensuring all IT projects which impact revenue have been properly tested and the results meet revenue accounting requirements and internal controls. Assist IT in the discovery, specification gathering, development, testing, and implementation of system initiatives that impact revenue.
- Meet and establish department goals and provide updates to leadership on all major projects, goal progress, and employee issues.
- Prepare and present various ad hoc analyses as requested.
What You Have:
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance required; CPA preferred
- 6-8 years related experience.
- Public accounting experience preferred; strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and general financial concepts.
- Possesses experience in engaging, growing, and developing teams and a passion for being a role model.
- Proven expertise in applying technical accounting to actual results and a proven track record of managing teams handling large volumes of transactional data and being able to step back and look at the big picture.
- Strong analytical and multi-tasking skills, excellent problem solving skills, attention to detail and follow through
- Advanced knowledge of Excel required, proficiency in Oracle preferred
- Must show accountability, be proactive, and have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Discretion in handling confidential and sensitive matters
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats - no job being too small or too large.
- We're casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. A pleasant and supportive demeanor goes a long way.
You’ll be successful in this role if you are a strong technical accounting professional with some big four and public accounting experience, a successful team manager and leader, and are able to be proactive.
What We Have:
- BuiltIn LA's 2019 Best Companies to Work For in Los Angeles
- Comparably's 2018 Top Companies to Work for in Los Angeles
- Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company Award
- MyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
- Cool office environment and culture
- Discounted gym memberships
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for