Senior Credit Analyst
Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is working to expand financial access, choice and control to underserved consumers globally. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
We are reinventing credit by using alternative data to underwrite customers in real time, without reliance on traditional credit reports and helping our users build an entirely new financial identity through digital credit. Our proprietary identity and credit scoring technologies have helped us lend to over 4M+ customers overlooked by traditional finance – with the goal of serving an estimated underserved population of 3 billion globally!
At Tala, we see the world differently. We’re driven by a fundamental belief in people, and we work hard to prove their potential. We take risks that others won’t, in order to put more power in our customers’ hands. Every day, we challenge the limits of a system that has left 3 billion people behind – committing to building a world where underserved people everywhere have financial access, choice, and control. We call this way of doing things Radical Trust. We think trust will be the currency that drives a better financial system – one that sees, understands and serves more of the world’s people.
We’re looking for a Senior Credit Analyst to help manage credit risk across each of our markets, with a focus on enhancing our relationship with existing customers. In this role, you will analyze data to identify opportunities to optimize our loan product across dimensions including limit, price, term and collections strategy and make recommendations for change. You will also have the opportunity to influence new product development. You will report to a Senior Credit and Risk Manager, and collaborate closely with partner teams including growth, data, collections, and engineering.
What you’ll do
- Develop deep understanding of Tala’s loan product and the economics and risks associated in various markets
- Use past loan data to find opportunities to optimize our loan terms, including approval criteria, loan limit size, interest rate, and term
- Use past collections data to find opportunities to optimize our collections strategy to increase cure rates
- Design, implement, and monitor credit and collections experiments
- Monitor and assess loan portfolio performance
- Partner with data teams to identify new use cases of data to assess credit risk
- Partner with technical teams to prioritize and deploy recommendations; monitor effectiveness of recommendations
What you’ll need
- Proficiency in SQL or R
- 2-3 years professional experience in an analytical credit or fraud role at a financial services or technology company
- Bachelor's degree in any field which requires logically creative thinking
- Proven strong analytical and problem solving skills including
- Ability to independently drive analysis concluding with rationalized recommendations
- Strong technical communications skills
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by Google Ventures, IVP, Revolution, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others.
Benefits and Perks
We offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive health and wellness coverage, 401k and reimbursement for commuting expenses. To promote healthy work-life balance, we offer unlimited paid time off and paid parental leave. At Tala, we provide enriching opportunities for personal and professional development, including travel to our global markets to meet with actual customers.